lift kits | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lift kits

zjac

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XL 4 Door 4x4
I want to lift my 93 explorer 4 door 4x4 about 4in. and figured I'd ask you guys for recommendations on lift kits. I'm also looking at 4 link suspension to, but I'm new to off road mods and I'm not really sure how it'll work together.

Appreciate the help,
Jake

The Superlift kit comes with longer radius arms. Thats the big difference. If you'll be driving it on the street, consider adding a swaybar relocation kit also. Possibly longer brake lines also.

So I've been looking around at different kits and have come across two that I'm curious about.
http://www.roughcountry.com/ford-suspension-lift-kit-440-20.html

http://www.jegs.com/i/Superlift-Suspension-Systems/426/K492/10002/-1
<snip>
Is one a lower quality kit
</snip>

-Jake

Go with the superlift. The rough country lift is a diff puncher. The bracket that lowers the driver side axle pivot bracket hangs down some and if you flex the suspension enough (really, not that far) the front diff will come in contact with it and break the top of the diff. I've had to use JB weld on the top of a diff on a couple explorer when out wheeling because of this. AFAIK, that is still an issue with the Rough Country lift..

The superlift kit gives you a new axle pivot bracket for the passenger side to replace the factory pivot bracket instead of putting a spacer between between the frame and the factory pivot.

On top of that, like [MENTION=208723]Neverwas[/MENTION] said, the Superlift one also comes with extended radius arms. That is extra work but that helps you suspension move and ride better as you get less caster change as the front wheels travel up/down.

Neither kit comes with brake lines and you WILL NEED at least new front brake lines. At 2.5" of lift the factory front brake lines will be too short. The 1993 and 1994 are the easier ones to find extended brake lines as they don't have a funky fittin on the driver's side front like a 1991-1992 has

Some other options.... Superlift K491 (might be k493) is a 5.5" lift kit that relocates the rear axle on top of the frame so you don't get new springs AND does not come with new/longer radius arms. Personally, I feel the k492 is better for wheeling, even though it is a shorter lift. If you need to go cheaper the the k492, go with the k490. It is a simple kit, without extended radius arms like the rough country kit but without a diff punching drop bracket.

~Mark

Back