• Register Today It's free!

Lift Kit Suggestions

Hydrogenuine

Reaction score
City, State
British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Bauer
I'm tossing around the idea of doing a baby lift on my 93 4x4. I'm currently leaning in the direction of a 2 inch suspension lift, but I'm not entirely sure. Any suggestions on brands of parts/kits or what have you? This would be the first vehicle I've had lifted and the explorer is my first 4wd vehicle as well! I don't do heavy off-roading or anything crazy, this is my daily and camping vehicle currently.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're looking for a small lift, go for a James Duff 2.5" kit. I used their stage 2 kit and am extremely happy with it. It actually got me close to 3" of lift in the end. It is a very high quality kit and the ride quality is fantastic on and off road. Only downside is that it is on the pricier side of kits, but it is worth it

Im wondering how many companies still make lift kits for first gen Explorers.

How many companies still make lift kits for first generation Explorers?

As far as I know, only James Duff sells lift kits for 1st gens today.

Historically, Superlift, Skyjacker, Rough Country, Rancho, and at least one other big name made them. I can't remember all of them. There were a lot of kits available 15 years ago. You can still find them for sale from time to time.

I'm not sure, but I think Skyjacker and Rough Country still sell kits. I don't know. I haven't looked recently since I'm lifted now.

But just as Rhett said, there used to be a lot of companies that did sell kits

I've found kits by Rough Country and Sky Jacker, I haven't been able to find a stage 2 from James Duff yet though. I may end up getting parts separate instead of in a kit if I can't find what I want, or entertaining a body lift.

I would just run a 2" coil spacer (Daystar KF09108BK or equivalent) and a longer leaf spring shackle in the rear (Warrior 153 or equivalent) That gets you 2" of lift for $200 + cost of an alignment where you may have to buy adjustable camber shims if your explorer doesn't already have them. This gets you a much easier install for a great price.

Alternatively, Skyjacker still makes a 2" lift that is a nice but basic kit for around $50-100 more than the above. Part # 132EXK

I have used both ways to lift Explorers and really don't have a preference between the two, they both get the job done.

Back