• Register Today It's free!

Lift Laws?

HSlough

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 four door
Anyone know anything about the lift laws in VA?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's a thread here somewhere on lift laws for all states, a search should pull it up.

I tried and can't find anything my email I need to stand on my head! Lol

Lol thanks guys I found it I was just looking in the first gen forum

I think its 28" to bottom of bumper (structural part, not the valance)

I found out it looking at some of the other threads on this forum that it's actually only 22 - 4 passenger vehicles the 28 inch height is for pickup trucks two totally different things but I talked to a couple of guys around here and they say that the police haven't bothered him with four or five inches of lift on 33s as long as the tires don't stick out past the fenders

In Va. a four door explorer has a gross vehicle weight above 5000-pounds (light truck). That allow you the 28-inch bumper/frame height.

If you had a two door, then it would be the 23-inch height (passenger vehicle). I have a two door and once got stopped by a cop. We had a discussion about the lift laws. He also said that I could reregister to the higher vehicle weight and be legal with my Explorer.

In Va. a four door explorer has a gross vehicle weight above 5000-pounds (light truck). That allow you the 28-inch bumper/frame height.

If you had a two door, then it would be the 23-inch height (passenger vehicle). I have a two door and once got stopped by a cop. We had a discussion about the lift laws. He also said that I could reregister to the higher vehicle weight and be legal with my Explorer.
Its 28" to bumper and if you lower the bumper they measure to the frame..i have a copy of the law i can post,its the courts broken down fine print of the law..

you can not apply in state of Va for higher weight vehicle tags because of a explorer is a ""passenger vehicle"" ,not a truck..they will not change it unless you chop the top and remove the rear seats..

Trust me ive gotten pulled many times in my explorer and been to court..ive been found guilty many times and now i just prepay them..i had a cop sit outside my work for months and would pull me over daily. .im at think 37 rear and 36 front

JD you are such a criminal (LOL).

When lifted trucks are outlawed, only outlaws will have lifted trucks!

Back