Lift Laws | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift Laws

Robb said:
VIRGINIA

Vehicle Annual Safety Inspections:

Inspect for and reject if:

-Any modification has been made that affects normal functioning of the shock absorbers. The inspector should operate the vehicle when in doubt. (If there is no evidence of the convolutions (coils) of the spring hitting one another, one pair (2) of nonmetallic coil spring stabilizers may be present in each of a vehicle's front coil springs, provided the installation of the stabilizers does not cause the springs to be higher than their original height.)

-Lift blocks have been used on front axle (N/A to Explorers)

-Any modification has been made to the front end suspension which reduces turning radius, bypasses safety components of original steering mechanism or if there is any lateral movement between the axle and frame.

-A body lift larger than 3” has been installed.

-Any modification has been made to cause the wheels to come in contact with the body under normal operating conditions (i.e. rubbing).

-Any modification has been made to any part of the steering or suspension system that affects proper steering or suspension or ANY part of the original suspension system has been disconnected. (DOH!!!!)

-Reject vehicle if there is noticeable play at any point in the steering mechanism (Except General Motors products.) LOL!! Sorry, just had to include that, it really says that!

-Reject vehicle if the steering stops have been removed or adjusted in so that steering radius is reduced.

-Any part of the steering/suspension is missing, bent, cracked, or broken.

-(Headlights) If vehicle has wire, unapproved plastic covers, any other materials which are not original equipment or any colored material placed on or in front of the headlamps.

-No more than four lamps, including two headlamps, may be lighted at any time to provide general illumination ahead of the vehicle.
-Vehicle has an auxiliary lamp being used for a purpose other than for which it was approved; EXCEPTION: Any lighting device which is both covered and not illuminated, other than lamps required, shall not be considered for inspection.

Robb is awesome. Thanks man.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

North Carolina is great. I have a friend that put a Pinto body on a Bronco frame and had to take it to the DMV to get inspected, then the VIN RE-Stamped and RE-Titled so he could drive it. I guess they didn't believe he did it...This was also like 1976.

Ohio's Bumper Height Law
(Lift Law)
Ohio Revised Code Section 4513.021

(A) As used in this section:

(1) "Passenger car means any motor vehicle designed to carry ten passengers or less, except a multipurpose passenger vehicle or motorcycle.

(2) "Multipurpose passenger vehicle" means a motor vehicle designed to carry ten passengers or less, that is constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road operation.

(3) "Truck" means every motor vehicle, except trailers and semi trailers, designed ad used to carry property and having a gross vehicle weight rating of ten thousand pounds or less.

(B) The director of public safety will adopt rules for conformance.

(C) No person shall operate upon a street or highway any passenger car, multipurpose vehicle, or truck registered in this state that does not conform to the requirements of this section or to any applicable rule adopted pursuant to this section.

(D) No person shall modify any motor vehicle registered in this state in such a manner as to cause the vehicle body or chassis to come in contact with the ground, expose the fuel tank to damage from collision, or cause the wheels to come in contact with the body under normal operation, and no person shall disconnect any part of the original suspension system of the vehicle to defeat the safe operation of that system.

(E) Nothing contained in this section or in the rules adopted pursuant to this section shall be construed to prohibit either of the following:

(1) The installation of heavy equipment including shocks absorbers and overload springs;

(2) The operation of a passenger car, multipurpose passenger vehicle, or truck registered in this state with normal wear to the suspension system if the normal wear does not adversely affect the control of the vehicle

(F) This section does not apply to any specially designed or modified passenger car, multipurpose passenger vehicle, or truck when operated off a street or highway in races and similar events.

Administrative Code 4501-43-04 - Specifications

(A) The horizontal bumper shall be at least 4.5 inches in vertical height, centered on the vehicle's centerline, and extend no less than the width of the respective wheel track distances. Bumpers shall be horizontal load-bearing bumpers attached to the vehicle frame to effectively transfer impact when engaged.

(B) Maximum bumper heights shall be determined by weight category of gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) measured in terms of the vertical distance between the ground and the bottom of the frame rail or bumper. Maximum bumper heights are as follows:

Vehicle Type Front Rear
Passenger Vehicles 22 inches 22 inches
4,500 lbs. and under GVWR 24 inches 26 inches
4,501 lbs. to 7,500 lbs. GVWR 27 inches 29 inches
7,501 lbs. to 10,000 lbs. GVWR 28 inches 31 inches

(C) If the body and/or truck bed height is altered, the difference in height between the body floor and/or the truck bed floor to the top of the frame ail shall not exceed four inches. (Body Lifts)

(D) For any vehicle with bumpers or attaching components which have been modified or altered from the original manufacturers design in order to conform with the maximum bumper requirements of this rule, the bumper height shall be measured from a level surface to the bottom of the vehicle frame rail at the most forward and rearward points of the frame rail.

(E) The height restriction in this rule applies to the distance from the ground to the bottom of the frame rail under any one or more of the following conditions:

(1) A motor vehicle is not equipped with a front and rear bumper.

(2) The bumper height relative to the frame rails has been altered.

(3) A supplemental bumper has been installed or an addition to the original or replacement has been made.

Hey RFY, did they make you register your X as a "passenger vehicle?"

chriswells78 said:
Hey RFY, did they make you register your X as a "passenger vehicle?"

They asked me if I wanted it rated like a work/commercial or regular. but this is Sciota county man, its nothing like Columbus. I asked about it, but if its work/commercial I had to pay more, why bother. if you mean something else, I don't know, but I can call the DMV from work and ask em ;-)

ryf said:
They asked me if I wanted it rated like a work/commercial or regular. but this is Sciota county man, its nothing like Columbus. I asked about it, but if its work/commercial I had to pay more, why bother. if you mean something else, I don't know, but I can call the DMV from work and ask em ;-)

Yeah, I know life's different down there in Scoita(o) LOL county. If your registration was a little more than $50.00 per year, then you are registered as passenger. That means that we fall under the 22" rule.

A side note to the rest of you around the country...Scioto county is not only the southern most county in Ohio, it is the "Southern" most county as well. It's like Kentucky...with cigarette and beer taxes. :D

wow i really dont like the michigan laws. basicaly an sas is illegal. rut roh

TheRookie said:
wow i really dont like the michigan laws. basicaly an sas is illegal. rut roh

yeah well that dont stop no one, you can get away with alot here.

louisiana...

It's a headlight state. No matter what kind of motor vehicle you drive, the lights can't be higher than 54 inches. Alter the suspension however you deem fit, as long as the lights are up to code. FYI, foglights can't be higher than 30 inches from the ground.

Last time I posted to this thread, I was a little unsure about the lift laws. Now I work at a court, so while I am here at work I can just copy and paste the Utah lift laws. (At least for this year, they change all the time):

41-6a-1631. Prohibitions.
(1) A person may not operate on a highway a motor vehicle that is mechanically altered or changed:
(a) in any way that may under normal operation:
(i) cause the motor vehicle body or chassis to come in contact with the roadway;
(ii) expose the fuel tank to damage from collision; or
(iii) cause the wheels to come in contact with the body;
(b) in any manner that may impair the safe operation of the vehicle;
(c) so that any part of the vehicle other than tires, rims, and mudguards are less than three inches above the ground;
(d) to a frame height of more than 24 inches for a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 4,500 pounds;
(e) to a frame height of more than 26 inches for a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of at least 4,500 pounds and less than 7,500 pounds;
(f) to a frame height of more than 28 inches for a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of at least 7,500 pounds;
(g) by stacking or attaching vehicle frames (one from on top of or beneath another frame); or
(h) so that the lowest portion of the body floor is raised more than three inches above the top of the frame.
(2) If the wheel track is increased beyond the O.E.M. specification, the top 50% of the tires shall be covered by the original fenders, by rubber, or other flexible fender extenders under any loading condition.

ct laws

Here's the info for Connecticut

CONNECTICUT

Modifying the factory bumper height is OK, as long as you keep it at 30 inches from the ground, or lift the vehicle no more than 4 inches.

I was just wondering if anyone knows the regulations in ct. as to how far a tire can stick out from the fender. I am sticking out around 2" now and do not want to put flares on if not needed.
thanks
JIGA

Tennessee law...

29 inches from ground to bumper, and no bodylift over 4 inches. That's it.

not sure about that. Read this there is more to the lift than just bumper. Frame height is also needed in TN. This is all from tennessee.gov

Source: Tennessee Code : Title 55 Motor and Other Vehicles : Chapter 9 Equipment-Lighting Regulations : Part 2 -Required Equipment on Vehicles : 55-9-215. Operation of motor vehicle without adequate energy absorption system prohibited - Alteration of altitude from ground level of passenger car prohibited - Modification of front end by lift blocks prohibited - Modification of steering mechanism prohibited - Exceptions - Enforcement - Penalties. -
Terms: 55-9-215 (Edit Search) (Search lexis.com®)

55-9-215. Operation of motor vehicle without adequate energy absorption system prohibited - Alteration of altitude from ground level of passenger car prohibited - Modification of front end by lift blocks prohibited - Modification of steering mechanism prohibited - Exceptions - Enforcement - Penalties. -

(a) No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any road, street or highway unless the vehicle is equipped with a bumper or other energy absorption system with an analogous function.

(b) (1) No person shall operate a passenger vehicle, except a four-wheel drive recreational vehicle, of a type required to be registered under the laws of this state upon a public highway or street modified by reason of alteration of its altitude from the ground if its bumpers, measured to any point on a load-bearing member on the horizontal bumper bar, are more than twenty-two inches (22²) above the ground, except that no vehicle shall be modified to cause the vehicle body or chassis to come in contact with the ground or expose the fuel tank to damage from collision or cause the wheels to come in contact with the body under normal operation, and that no part of the original suspension system be disconnected to defeat the safe operation of the suspension system; provided, that nothing contained in this section shall prevent the installation of heavy duty equipment to include shock absorbers and overload springs; and provided further, that nothing contained in this section shall prevent a person from operating a motor vehicle on a public highway with normal wear of the suspension system if normal wear does not affect the control of the vehicle.

(2) No person shall operate a four-wheel drive recreational vehicle of a type required to be registered under the laws of this state upon a public highway or street modified by reason of alteration of its altitude from the ground if its bumpers, measured to any point on a load-bearing member on the horizontal bumper bar, are not within the range of fourteen inches (14²) to thirty-one inch above the ground, except that no vehicle shall be modified to cause the vehicle body or chassis to come in contact with the ground or expose the fuel tank to damage from collision or cause the wheels to come in contact with the body under normal operation, and that no part of the original suspension system be disconnected to defeat the safe operation of the suspension system; provided, that nothing contained in this section shall prevent the installation of heavy duty equipment to include shock absorbers and overload springs; and provided further, that nothing contained in this section shall prevent a person from operating a motor vehicle on a public highway with normal wear of the suspension system if normal wear does not affect the control of the vehicle. In the case of a four-wheel drive vehicle where the thirty-one inch (31²) limitation is exceeded, the vehicle will comply with this section if the vehicle is equipped with a drop bumper. Such a drop bumper must be bolted and welded to the frame of the vehicle and be made of a strength equal to a stock bumper.

(3) No person shall modify or cause to be modified by the use of lift blocks the front end suspension of a motor vehicle.

(4) (A) Maximum frame heights for motor vehicles shall be as follows:

(i) Passenger cars22 inches

(ii) Trucks and recreational vehicles:

(a) 4,500 lbs. and under24 inches

(b) 4,501-7,500 lbs.26 inches

(c) 7,501-10,000 lbs.28 inches

(B) Frame height measurements shall be taken from the bottom of the frame by measuring the vertical distance between the ground and the lowest point of the frame directly below the point in line with the center of the steering wheel.

(5) No person shall operate a motor vehicle having a distance greater than four inches (4²) between the body floor and the top of the frame.

(6) No person shall modify or cause to be modified the original manufacturer installed steering mechanism, including welding, nor the front spindle where the brake pads mount, on a passenger vehicle or a truck or recreational vehicle with a weight up to ten thousand pounds (10,000 lbs.).

(c) This section does not apply to freight motor vehicles and/or other vehicles which have designs which would intrinsically preclude conformity with this provision. This section also shall not apply to any vehicle which has an unaltered and undamaged stock bumper or energy absorption system as supplied by the manufacturer of the vehicle.

(d) Any law enforcement officer charged with the enforcement of traffic laws and regulations may stop and inspect motor vehicles which appear to be operated in violation of this section. If, upon inspection, the vehicle is found to be in violation of this section, the operator shall be issued a citation stating the particulars of the violation and, in general, the repairs necessary to bring the vehicle into compliance with this section. The citation shall also state a time and place for appearance in a court of competent traffic jurisdiction, not less than fourteen (14) days from the date of the issuance of the citation.

(e) If the vehicle is found not to be in compliance with this section, the operator shall be fined not less than two hundred fifty dollars ($250). Upon conviction of a second or subsequent offense involving the same vehicle for substantially the same defect, the registration of the vehicle and the driver licenses of the operator and the owner of the vehicle, if such persons are different, shall be suspended for one (1) year. The vehicle may, however, be operated for the purpose of traveling to and from an establishment or location where repairs are to be performed.

(f) Nothing in this section shall be construed to establish standards higher than those formulated by the United States department of transportation for bumpers on passenger motor vehicles sold within the United States.

[Acts 1976, ch. 671, § 1; T.C.A., § 59-940; Acts 1983, ch. 268, § 1; 1990, ch. 714, § 1; 1990, ch. 978, §§ 1, 2; 1991, ch. 1, § 1.]

I was just wondering if anyone knows the regulations in ct. as to how far a tire can stick out from the fender. I am sticking out around 2" now and do not want to put flares on if not needed.
thanks
JIGA
I would assume that the tread can't stick out past the body.

I would assume that the tread can't stick out past the body.

I cant answer his question because in TN i have fournd out by the state troopers office that i dont have to worry about this.

In CT it says you can't lift more than 4 inches, so I'd assume they are a little more strict than TN.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In CT it says you can't lift more than 4 inches, so I'd assume they are a little more strict than TN.

I wonder how they know how much lift you have. What do they base there measurements on. I mean I have a buddy with a stock dodge truck and the thing is huge. You would swear he has at least 6" of lift. He actually just put 35's on with no lift and minor trimming. So do they take a measurement from the ground and tell him he is to many inches high when its stock.
just curious how it works.

Back