Lift Laws?

riffman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I was just talking to my fabricator, and he told me that my truck (being in Illinois) was illegal because i am combining a suspension and a body lift. Is this true? Are there any resources out there that i can see to tell me this, or tell me otherwise? any help would be great!!

thanx,
Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haha, I don't exactally know the rules...But I wanna say it was 28 or 30in in the front and maybe 30-33in the rear...that is the lowest point of the bumper....Now..I just can't remember...I am told that bodylifts are illegal in IL...But I don't care...But I know my truck is illegal, according to what a friend found out from some Gov't office....But that is all I know....
Thanks,
Pete

Scott,

Check with your department of Motor vehicles, or check with an inspector if you have them in your state. Some DMV's have the regulations posted on their web sites, some are in state law books.
I dont know about the enforcement in your area but it can be a hassle if you have legal questions, and your insurance co. may not look kindly on someone who is driving vehicle that is illegal. They will certainly give you a hassle if it is modified, even more of a hassle if it is modified and they dont know, and may refuse to honor your claims if it is outside the inspection laws. Plus you are a cop magnet( at least in our area with certain cops) with a vehicle that is even a bit suspect.

Riffman-
The Illinois Vehicle Code has a few statutes that cover these things. Check with your local police dept., who should be able to make copies of the statutes for you, if not, let me know, and I can fax them to you. In the mean time, I'll give you a brief summary of them.

12-607: "...unlawful to operate a vehicle upon any highway when the suspension system has been modified from the original manufactured design by lifting the body from the chassis in excess of 3" or to cause the horizontal line from the front to rear bumper to vary over 3" in height when measured from a level surface".

12-607.1: "...first division veh can not have frame to ground clearance in excess of 22"...lowest portion of body floor shall not be more than 4" above the top of the frame".

12-608: "...unlawful to operate first div veh with front and rear bumper heights in excess of 22" measured from a level surface to the highest point of the bottom of the bumper when veh is unloaded and tires properly inflated".

If you should decide to go ahead with the mods, and they are in violation, they are Class C Misdemeanors (most minor violation) and punishable by fines not less than $500, and the officer making an arrest for these violations has to order you to remove vehicle from highway.

I don't think a lot of officers would mess with you about it (speaking only of experience in the chicago area), but there is always that one that thinks he can save the world. Hope I didn't rain on your parade...

Haha, if I'm reading that correcty.......I'm sooooo illegal...hehe..oh well I haven't gotten in trouble...
Pete

Riff, I used to have a copy of the lift laws, but the only ones I remember were dealing strictly with trucks and they specified frame height by GVW and body height above frame height. I don't know how that would relate to an SUV so you might want to get a copy from RytM1. At least you would know where you stood in relation to the laws.

Is your fabricator refusing to do the work you requested?

no no no....he doesn't care....hes got a few illegal vehicles himself...the work is all done at the fab shop....it just getting an allingment now.....I'll have her back on monday....

RytM1, I dont' have a fax machine....do you think you could e-mail them too me? i would appreaciate it a lot! thanx!

Riffman80@aol.com

hey RytM1 thanx for the info!

Ok....so from how i read that, there is nothing saying that i can't have a body and a suspension lift combined, right?. but there is a law saying that i can't have more than a 3" body lift.

the explorer falls into the 4501-7500 GVWR (class 2) catagory, so this means that the lowest point of my frame can't be over 26", the front bumper can't be over 27" and the rear bumper can't be over 29". i don't have a tape measure on me, but this seems like i will be ok.

pete, have you measured yours?

Yep, I most definately have....It's true, I'm illegal:)
I have yet to be hassled by the cops and my tires are definately stickin out too...So I figured that would tip em off, but not yet.
Pete

I think one of the most current off road magazines has a copy of all the states lift laws. Don't remember which one though. Just thought I'd add that.

Originally posted by coloradobound
I think one of the most current off road magazines has a copy of all the states lift laws. Don't remember which one though. Just thought I'd add that.

Well I too have seen these, I can't remember either. I know for sure its either 4 Wheel and Off-road or FOURWHEELER. Since thats all I got.

It's 4Wheel & Offroad.

Back