Lift Laws | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift Laws

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
I am starting this thread to hopefully compile a reference for others to use to help them determine what lifting modifications they can legally do in their home states (or countries). These will include laws and restrictions concerning height, suspension and steering modifications, aux. lights, fenders, tires, etc. I hope that others that are familiar with their vehicle laws will submit what they know and/or researched. Please help others here if you can! If multiple posts about the same location take place, I will combine posts, with credit for any information given to the original poster.

“Small talk” about the particular laws and/or restrictions can be posted and will appear for a certain amount of time. In the future, such posts may be edited or deleted to limit the size of the thread, and keep the information easy to retrieve.

PLEASE take the time to learn lift laws in your locality, then help others out by posting them here!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

VIRGINIA

I did a little research on Virginia Law in regards to lifting vehicles and steering/suspension modifications (or anything else concerning lifted vehicles). Here are some pages of interest concerning VA Law:

Virginia General Assembly; Legislative Information System (LIS): http://leg1.state.va.us/
LIS Code Of Virginia (Searchable Database): http://leg1.state.va.us/000/src.htm
LIS Administrative Code (Searchable Database): http://leg1.state.va.us/000/src.htm
Virginia State Police (VSP): http://www.vsp.state.va.us/sitemap.htm
VSP Vehicle Inspection: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/safety.htm
VSP Motor Vehicle Inspection Manual: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70

Vehicle Annual Safety Inspections:

Inspect for and reject if:

-Any modification has been made that affects normal functioning of the shock absorbers. The inspector should operate the vehicle when in doubt. (If there is no evidence of the convolutions (coils) of the spring hitting one another, one pair (2) of nonmetallic coil spring stabilizers may be present in each of a vehicle's front coil springs, provided the installation of the stabilizers does not cause the springs to be higher than their original height.)

-Lift blocks have been used on front axle (N/A to Explorers)

-Any modification has been made to the front end suspension which reduces turning radius, bypasses safety components of original steering mechanism or if there is any lateral movement between the axle and frame.

-A body lift larger than 3” has been installed.

-Any modification has been made to cause the wheels to come in contact with the body under normal operating conditions (i.e. rubbing).

-Any modification has been made to any part of the steering or suspension system that affects proper steering or suspension or ANY part of the original suspension system has been disconnected. (DOH!!!!)

-Reject vehicle if there is noticeable play at any point in the steering mechanism (Except General Motors products.) LOL!! Sorry, just had to include that, it really says that!

-Reject vehicle if the steering stops have been removed or adjusted in so that steering radius is reduced.

-Any part of the steering/suspension is missing, bent, cracked, or broken.

-(Headlights) If vehicle has wire, unapproved plastic covers, any other materials which are not original equipment or any colored material placed on or in front of the headlamps.

-No more than four lamps, including two headlamps, may be lighted at any time to provide general illumination ahead of the vehicle.
-Vehicle has an auxiliary lamp being used for a purpose other than for which it was approved; EXCEPTION: Any lighting device which is both covered and not illuminated, other than lamps required, shall not be considered for inspection.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE VA Bumper Height Law
-No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as a passenger motor vehicle if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, are not within the range of fourteen inches to TWENTY-TWO inches above the ground.

Note: YEP, 22”!!! This was a surprise to me. A lot of internet resources list the max bumper height limit as 28”. 28” is correct for “pickup or panel trucks” and “trucks” under 7500 lbs. SUVs (i.e. Explorers) are not trucks, they are registered as passenger vehicles and fall under the restrictions as such.

Just to add. As always, ANY aftermarket product that is not DOT Approved is illegal to use on public highways.

I can find NO laws in VA concerning a max tire size or tire width beyond fender width. If you know of any and can point me in the right direction with these (or any other laws which are relevant here), please post here or PM me and I will add them.

I checked my stock Ranger 22-inches on the dot. The lifted Explorer 28-inches on the dot (superlift 5.5 and 33s).

I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for to high a bumper.

Tennessee law...

29 inches from ground to bumper, and no bodylift over 4 inches. That's it.

That is the same site I used.

TEXAS

Laws concern lighting but not bumper height or even lift blocks. The headlamps must be mounted between 24 and 54 inches from the ground, the taillamps between 15 and 72, and foglamps between 12 and 30.

HAHAHA, i knew i lived in redneckville....i think i can pass saing its only lifted 8"

MISSISSIPPI

No vehicle can be modified in any way that will put it over the state's 8-inch total-lift limit, and the maximum suspension lift front and rear is 6 inches (so make sure your big tires won't be over the limit if you raise the suspension that much).

MASSACHUSETTS

Get your calculator: The maximum allowable mechanical lift (as well as what's acceptable in terms of bigger rubber) can be determined by this formula:

Maximum Lift = Wheelbase x Wheel Track divided by 2200

For example, if you did the formula and came up with 2 inches, then a 2 inch lift and a 2 inch increase in tire size is allowable, equaling a total lift of 4 inches over stock.

So typical Massachusetts :rolleyes:

My Favorite:

NEBRASKA: Mud flaps must cover the entire tread of tire

That's it!

Here's the info for Connecticut

CONNECTICUT

Modifying the factory bumper height is OK, as long as you keep it at 30 inches from the ground, or lift the vehicle no more than 4 inches.

Only thing in Maryland thats really important is the 28" maximum height for both bumpers.

In Pennsylvania the lowest part of the frame must be within 30 inches of the ground.
Tires cannot stick out past the fenders
Fender flares are allowed to be used but have a max width of 3 inches.

Originally posted by Robb
Note: YEP, 22”!!! This was a surprise to me.

Yeah me too... I'll be sitting around 35" when the SAS is all said and done. Oops!! And I am a state inspector too :rolleyes:

Chris

Does the state inspection require that the bumper height be checked?

Honesty I don't know. I believe so because when I read the manual last it mentioned someting about the 28" 1/2 ton truck bumper hight. But if I was to measure all the trucks that come into my shop i'd be failing them left and right. I believe it is more of a judgment call if you know what I mean; If the truck is just not safe for the roads then I could see rejecting it.

Va Beach is strict on the height law.... my friend recieved several tickets about his truck, exhaust, illegal lift, etc. just got to be carful... some cops are more strict than other, just so happens he got the worst one...:mad: :mad: :mad:

I liked this one from the mor einfo on PA.
(1) Metal springs may not protrude from the driver?s seat.
im so glad we don't have that inspection crap here..pretty much anything goes here
Inspections aren't total crap. Some people don't know enough about their vehicles to know when they are unsafe, or use poor judgement. We have inspections in PA, and some of the things I see are scary. (anyone can "buy" a sticker)

We dont have inspections here, and i can say i see soem scary stuff, Trucks with No fenders, Headlights/Taillights. their headlights are flash lihts duct taped to the front end:rolleyes:

Also somethign must peopel would know is unsafe(cept offroaders i guess) and i never really knew till i did research and started reading alot, is Front blocks, We have a truck in the next city is Blocks on the front end....

heck even sometimes double and triple stacked blocks:eek: :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NEW JERSEY :fire:

An examination of your vehicle indicates that it has been raised more than 4 inches beyond its manufactured height. Under the provisions of N.J.A.C. 13:20-37.3, such a vehicle must undergo a geometric stability test.
These tests are being conducted by appointment only at specialty inspection locations. A comprehensive examination of the steering and suspension will be conducted. There is no charge for this inspection. Please call the location of your choice as soon as possible, since the test must be completed prior to the expiration date of your inspection sticker.

Conditions for the motor vehicles with elevated chassis heights are:

(1) Steering gear ratios and steering wheel left stop to right stop turns must be within 1/2 turn of the original manufacturers specifications.

(2) Headlights shall be mounted no lower than 22" nor more than 54" above the ground.

(3) Taillights shall be mounted no lower than 15" nor more than 72" above the ground.

(4) Off road lights must be covered while operating on public roads.

(5) License plates must be mounted no less than 12" nor more than 48" above the ground.

(6) Brake lines and hoses must be protected from excess heat and vibration. They must be mounted in a manner to prevent chafing, undue wear, stress, or unintentional disconnection.

(7) Vehicles originally equipped with bumpers must have them securely fastened, no less then 16" from the ground to the bottom of the bumper, and shall extend the full width of the vehicle.

(8) Maximum tire diameter allowed will be 38" or 6" over stock, whichever is less.

(9) All tires must be the same size. Maximum tire pressure as stated on tire is recommended. Front tires must be at least 60% of the thread width of the rear tires.

(10) Front fenders must extend over the full width of the tire thread. Rear tires that are not covered by the fender or other body parts must be equipped with metal protectors or flexible flaps that prevent dirt, debris and water from being thrown.

(11) Exposed fuel tanks must be encased. Side mounted tanks must have a protective bar to prevent rupture.

(12) Exposed exhaust system components and moving parts must be shielded.

(13) Ballast must be securely mounted.

(14) Releasing the steering wheel in a sharp turn shall result in an increase in turning radius.

(15) Spacers to increase track width are prohibited.

(16) Maximum lift heights for GVWR 4500 lbs and under... 7" above original vehicle height.

(17) Maximum lift heights for GVWR 4501 - 7500 lbs... 9" above original vehicle height.

(18) Maximum lift heights for GVWR 7501 - 10,000 lbs... 11" above original vehicle height.

(19) No blocks are allowed on the front suspension.

(20) All credentials are to be up to date.

(21) Please report to the Supervisor’s Office at least 10 minutes prior to your appointment. Lateness will result in cancellation of the scheduled appointment. Do not wait in the inspection line. Stability tests are not given in inclement weather. Please call the station if questionable.

Please Note: Vehicles that have been previously approved prior to October 1, 1998 are exempt from lift restrictions. However, all other regulations must be complied with by February 1, 1999 except limitations on tire diameter which must be complied with by October 1, 2000.

Vehicles Certified Prior to 10/1/98

All vehicles tested and approved prior to October 1, 1998 will have until October 1, 2000 to comply with the tire diameter requirements. While all vehicles approved prior to October 1, 1998 will be exempt from the maximum lift requirements, once the vehicle is retrofitted to comply with the new tire regulations, a new stability test will be required.
Effective October 1, 2000, maximum tire diameter will be no more than six (6) inches larger than the stock tire available from the manufacturer ( for that model and model year ) or thirty-eight inch diameter, whichever is LESS.

Back