• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate Problems

greeman

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
My wife buys groceries online and I pick them up at Kroger. When I arrive at Kroger I shut off the engine, open the liftgate and after a while they bring out my groceries and put them in. When finished when I try to close the liftgate with the dash button (or the attendant tries to close it with the button on the liftgate) it will only go down part of the way, chime and toot horn. I finally learned that to correct this or prevent it from happening in the first place all I had to do was open and shut the drivers door. Sounds crazy, but works. I have had it back to the dealer 3 times. They have checked and reprogrammed it, and the last time they replaced the control module. The problem persists and the dealer is baffled. Anyone else with similar problem or ideas on how to fix?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As I posted in my reply to your other post;
Take it back again since the issue still exists. Perhaps they will dig a little deeper into the problem or get Ford engineering involved. Did they check the 'pinch sensors' to see if that might be the cause for the 'gate' to stop closing?

Peter

My wife buys groceries online and I pick them up at Kroger. When I arrive at Kroger I shut off the engine, open the liftgate and after a while they bring out my groceries and put them in. When finished when I try to close the liftgate with the dash button (or the attendant tries to close it with the button on the liftgate) it will only go down part of the way, chime and toot horn. I finally learned that to correct this or prevent it from happening in the first place all I had to do was open and shut the drivers door. Sounds crazy, but works. I have had it back to the dealer 3 times. They have checked and reprogrammed it, and the last time they replaced the control module. The problem persists and the dealer is baffled. Anyone else with similar problem or ideas on how to fix?
Try starting the engine BEFORE you attempt to close the liftgate with the dash button and see what happens. There are numerous discussions about this issue on other Ford vehicle forums (e.g., Ford Escape, Lincoln MKC) and it looks like the corporate design engineers included some screwy logic when they programmed the Liftgate Control Module.

My vehicle does this. I and others have also posted about it. It appears to be a "feature". If you open and close the driver's door prior to attempting to close the lift gate, it will close fine. This is completely repeatable in my 2020 ST. I have tried to figure out why someone would put this logic in place in the design, but have no clue.

I doubt that is the way it should be. No such issue with my Aviator. Doesn't make sense they would use different programming.

Peter

I think you only have to open the driver door and it does Not need to be closed or not it does Not make any difference. But you have to open the drive door that's it, I think.

I did my test sitting in the vehicle, doors closed, engine OFF. Hit the dash button to open and close the liftgate. I don't see a reason why the Explorer shouldn't work the same way. My 2017 worked the same way.

Peter

This isn't a solution, but a possible idea as to why it's happening. I assume that you are opening the liftgate with the dash button. When you shut off the car but do not get out, the logic system keeps power on for accesories (windows, radio, etc.) for a period of time, and then shuts down the power for those items after the time delay times out, OR, you open the driver's door (not sure about other doors). Sounds a little like yours gets trapped in sort of state of limbo with no power going to the switches. Not a solution, but maybe try turning you ignition to "on" and see if the button works.

The Battery Saver Features turns OFF power after 10 minutes but that shouldn't affect the liftgate. I have been able to open mine a day or more after shutting the vehicle OFF from both the dash and or button on the liftgate and I don't need to have the keyfob on me. Of course this is with the vehicle sitting unlocked.

Peter

Possibly thinks you are about to lock Yourself out? My Aviator doesn’t do this but in my 16 Edge I have to unlock the door to prevent this from happening.

I will give this a try, thanks.
Possibly thinks you are about to lock Yourself out? My Aviator doesn’t do this but in my 16 Edge I have to unlock the door to prevent this from happening.

Wow, just had to go out and check this out. Thanks Pnewby it appears that is the answer "It is trying to prevent a lockout". Closes fine if I hit the unlock button first! A little embarrassed that I made such an issue of it now.

Wow, just had to go out and check this out. Thanks Pnewby it appears that is the answer "It is trying to prevent a lockout". Closes fine if I hit the unlock button first! A little embarrassed that I made such an issue of it now.
I still believe that you should be able to close the liftgate in the scenario you explained in the initial post. Since you shut the engine OFF and never opened to door to exit, it should be smart enough to remember that you are still in the vehicle.

Peter

Back