Liftgate won't close completely | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate won't close completely

02nbmformula

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
so my 14 explorer sport liftgate won't close unless you manually shut it. If you hit the button to close it, it moves down and gets about 95% shut then opens back up. Is there an easy fix to this or am I going to have to take it to the dealer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so my 14 explorer sport liftgate won't close unless you manually shut it. If you hit the button to close it, it moves down and gets about 95% shut then opens back up. Is there an easy fix to this or am I going to have to take it to the dealer?
Does it sound any chimes before it re-opens? The liftgate will reverse if you start the vehicle when it is approximately that far from closing. If you are not trying to start the vehicle at that time, I'm guessing that the gate may be sensing something is binding and will reverse its direction.

Peter

Hey there 02nbmformula,

I recommend making an appointment with your Ford Dealer. You may do so here. Also, what's your current mileage?

Todd

My neighbors new Highlander did the same thing when he drove it home.
Call your dealer.

TW

My neighbors new Highlander did the same thing when he drove it home.
Call your dealer.

TW
Factory Warranty is 3 years/36,000 miles. Why wouldn't it be covered?...
24k miles, would it be under warranty?
Hello 02nbmformula,

Professorfingers and CajunFordEx are correct. You can access the “2014 Warranty Guide” online, here. On page 8, it will state that the "New Vehicle Limited Warranty” is 3 years/36,000 miles. Your Bumper to Bumper Coverage lasts for three years - unless you drive more than 36,000 miles before three years elapse. In that case, your coverage ends at 36,000 miles.

In the meantime, please make an appointment at the dealer here. Let me know when it’s scheduled. Also, be sure to PM your full name, VIN, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll loop in a customer service manager in your region to assist at that time! :D

Tricia

Hello new to the site but I'm having an issue with the power tailgate on my 14 sport. Doesn't work took to mechanic and says its the motor my thoughts are the actuator anyone have issues with this? I didn't fix it cause mechanic said my after market warranty doesn't cover it motor was 430.00 to replace. I have my normal mechanic looking at it in 2 weeks. I shouldn't say it doesn't work it will open and the actuator will make noise and it will close almost fully but then goes back up. Nothing in the way but the actuator makes a clicking noise while closing also

Hello new to the site but I'm having an issue with the power tailgate on my 14 sport. Doesn't work took to mechanic and says its the motor my thoughts are the actuator anyone have issues with this? I didn't fix it cause mechanic said my after market warranty doesn't cover it motor was 430.00 to replace. I have my normal mechanic looking at it in 2 weeks. I shouldn't say it doesn't work it will open and the actuator will make noise and it will close almost fully but then goes back up. Nothing in the way but the actuator makes a clicking noise while closing also
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I have merged your thread with this existing one found using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature.
Unless the liftgate is binding on something when closing it should not reverse. Have you tried applying some light pressure on the 'gate' as it closes to see if it will continue to close? Does it reverse at the same point every time? Do you feel any resistance when you close it manually?

Peter

When you get a chance please try this. I have noticed that when the car is locked, you cannot close the trunk/ liftgate using the remote or button on liftgate/ trunk.
- unlock the explorer
- open the liftgate.
- close the liftgate using the remote,
- did it close properly? (it should close all the way)
- now you can lock the car.

If the above steps worked then please did try this to confirm theory:
-lock the car
-open the liftgate
-close the liftgate using remote
-did it close? (it should NOT close)

Please do let me know if this resolved the issue. Because if it did then we need to know if this is normal as this is how i have to operate my explorer and its very annoying to make sure the car is unlocked before i close the trunk or it just reopens and honks twice.

When you get a chance please try this. I have noticed that when the car is locked, you cannot close the trunk/ liftgate using the remote or button on liftgate/ trunk.
- unlock the explorer
- open the liftgate.

-lock the car
-open the liftgate

Please do let me know if this resolved the issue. Because if it did then we need to know if this is normal as this is how i have to operate my explorer and its very annoying to make sure the car is unlocked before i close the trunk or it just reopens and honks twice.

I'm able to close the liftgate while the car is locked (via button on the liftgate, remote or hands free under the bumper).

- unlock the explorer
- open the liftgate.

-lock the car
-open the liftgate

You should be able to open and close the liftgate while the vehicle is locked with the remote. I have done it several times. The only time you should get a double honk is when the vehicle is running and the keyfob is not inside and you close a door or liftgate. You say you have an Explorer but your profile shows a 13 VW Passat? Do you have both? If so, please add your Explorer to a signature block so the members are aware. Thanks.

Peter

I'm going to get a new actuator the other day is was saying the liftgate was open and put the truck in some sort of limp mode heat was blasting no power no radio and stated no key detected. I did get it back to normal by stopping and could only get tailgate to open with key fob everything was good then. I went and disabled the power liftgate from the menu on dash. It makes noise as it closes like click click click as its closing like a bad gear in the actuator?

I'm going to get a new actuator the other day is was saying the liftgate was open and put the truck in some sort of limp mode heat was blasting no power no radio and stated no key detected. I did get it back to normal by stopping and could only get tailgate to open with key fob everything was good then. I went and disabled the power liftgate from the menu on dash. It makes noise as it closes like click click click as its closing like a bad gear in the actuator?
I really don't see a connection between the liftgate being open and the other problems you described. I accidently drove about a block with the 'gate' open on my 2011 and did not get any such symptoms. Pulled over, closed the liftgate and away I went.

Peter

yeah it was all goofy but once I stopped opened with the key fob closed it disabled it everything was good? I thought maybe battery in key fob? I have it disabled till I can get the actuator installed. Waiting to hear if my extended warranty will cover it since it does work 9 out of 10 times?

Is there a answer to this problem from ford.I have seen post since 2007.There should be an answer from ford by now as to what the real problem is

Is there a answer to this problem from ford.I have seen post since 2007.There should be an answer from ford by now as to what the real problem is
This is a Forum on 2011 + Explorers which are unlike those generations before it. Not sure if the power liftgate is the same or not but this problem is not a widespread issue as there are only 2 reports here.

Peter

My car is a 2014 limited.and I have seen reports about this issue in other years.trying to find out how to fix

My car is a 2014 limited.and I have seen reports about this issue in other years.trying to find out how to fix
Perhaps it's time to update your profile then. It shows 2003.;)
Hard to say what to check when you haven't stated what exactly is happening. There could be several things causing the problem. Liftgate won't close is sort of a general description.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay,it starts to close to about 90% or 95% then stops and opens back up.i can close by pushing it,no real resistance.i have tried all of the button to work that gate with the same results.Idid a system reset with no change.looked for obstruction,nothing there.have tried to find an answer on ford sites with no help.can not toto dealer yet so am looking for advice from someone who may have or heard of this problem and has an answer

Back