Liftgate won't close completely | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate won't close completely

bought a new actuator 220 from sunset ford in cali free shipping cheapest I found works great not no weird binding noise one thing one it closed before it seemed to get to the latch and like pull it tighter? This new one just pulls it down but everything runs good so?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1fast93gt,thanks for the info,that seems to be it

D
Okay,it starts to close to about 90% or 95% then stops and opens back up.i can close by pushing it,no real resistance.i have tried all of the button to work that gate with the same results.Idid a system reset with no change.looked for obstruction,nothing there.have tried to find an answer on ford sites with no help.can not toto dealer yet so am looking for advice from someone who may have or heard of this problem and has an answer
Did you go through the procedure to Reset the Liftgate? It's in the Manual. No guaranty it will work and the procedure has been removed from the later Manuals.

Peter

Sucked paying for it but warranty didn't cover it as a service part but it's fixed so mama is happy,

Sucked paying for it but warranty didn't cover it as a service part but it's fixed so mama is happy,
Are you talking about the factory 3yr/36k mile warranty? I don't understand why that wouldn't have been covered if that is what you're talking about.

Peter

Are you talking about the factory 3yr/36k mile warranty? I don't understand why that wouldn't have been covered if that is what you're talking about.

Peter
No an extended warranty thru my credit union that I had with our 07 expedition and my Harley that has been great otherwise route 66

No an extended warranty thru my credit union that I had with our 07 expedition and my Harley that has been great otherwise route 66
That's sometimes the problem with 3rd party warranties.

Peter

New to the forum sorry if this isn't allowed here.

Our 2011 explorer limited 75k miles has a issue with the lift gate all of a sudden. The lift gate power opens just fine no problems but once it fully opens it won't power shut it just makes one chime that's it. The owners manual said it would do this if the vehicle is in motion 3 mph or greater, battery voltage to low or if the vehicle isn't in park with the key on. None of these seem to be the issue. Battery voltage is at 12.2 (even hooked up a jump box just in case also tried with it running so it would have the 14+ voltage)

I did notice before it's fully opens and you choose to close it with the button it power closes with no problems. It makes the three chimes like it's suppose too. It's only after it's been power opened all the way is when it won't power close. I did the lift gate reset in our manual too and no such luck. Also removed the rubber shielding around the wires to check for broken wires and found nothing. Any ideas?

New to the forum sorry if this isn't allowed here.

Our 2011 explorer limited 75k miles has a issue with the lift gate all of a sudden. The lift gate power opens just fine no problems but once it fully opens it won't power shut it just makes one chime that's it. The owners manual said it would do this if the vehicle is in motion 3 mph or greater, battery voltage to low or if the vehicle isn't in park with the key on. None of these seem to be the issue. Battery voltage is at 12.2 (even hooked up a jump box just in case also tried with it running so it would have the 14+ voltage)

I did notice before it's fully opens and you choose to close it with the button it power closes with no problems. It makes the three chimes like it's suppose too. It's only after it's been power opened all the way is when it won't power close. I did the lift gate reset in our manual too and no such luck. Also removed the rubber shielding around the wires to check for broken wires and found nothing. Any ideas?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Have you tried setting the opening height a little lower and then once it opens and stops at the new height, pushing the button to see if it will close?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Have you tried setting the opening height a little lower and then once it opens and stops at the new height, pushing the button to see if it will close?

Peter
Yea the open height was adjusted to a lower position and no change only time it will power close now is as the liftgate is power opening I press the button again on the fob twice before it reaches its fully open position.

Well, I guess it's my turn to have the liftgate issue. It's been working fine, until today. There have been occasions that it would get almost closed, then reverse back to open, but today it's done it almost every time. I reset it, got one good close out of it, and that was it. It sounds horrible when it's closing. Lots of clicking and groaning. Ugh.

Well, I guess it's my turn to have the liftgate issue. It's been working fine, until today. There have been occasions that it would get almost closed, then reverse back to open, but today it's done it almost every time. I reset it, got one good close out of it, and that was it. It sounds horrible when it's closing. Lots of clicking and groaning. Ugh.

Had same issue change out the shock actuator on drivers side easy fix have to pop off interior trim on inside to get to connecting harness and then the shock pops off careful tailgate will drop down when you remove shock

Had same issue change out the shock actuator on drivers side easy fix have to pop off interior trim on inside to get to connecting harness and then the shock pops off careful tailgate will drop down when you remove shock

I think, considering the cost of the parts, I'll let the my ESP pay for it!

I've read around the forum a little and can't seem to find a definitive answer to my issue and I'm looking for some help.

I have a 2013 Explorer limited I bought used in March of 2016. It currently has just under 65k and about 2 weeks ago I started having issues with my power liftgate. It will go about 85-95% closed and spring back open then chime 3 times at the top. I read that it may be obstructed and won't close. I had a dog cover in there I moved and it seemed to fix it for about 5 times then it's back to the same problem. I did reset it per the Ford instructions but still no dice. I can manually close it and I do feel some resistance at the point where it springs back, but it's almost closed and I can see what it's binding on. I sprayed a little WD-40 on the arms too to see if that would help. Nothing. I don't notice any sounds when it's shutting coming from the arms either. Now when it springs back it does not chime either. Just pops back up. Any help on troubleshooting this would be appreciated as I see to replace the arms (especially the power arm) isn't cheap.

There really isn't much to the system. You have your two pinch protectors on the sides and the 2 arms. One is the power and one is just the assist. My guess tells me something is wrong with the arm (not sure which one).

Sorry, I know that wasn't much help but it is a pretty simple system so it can only be 1 of 2 things.

I've read around the forum a little and can't seem to find a definitive answer to my issue and I'm looking for some help.

I have a 2013 Explorer limited I bought used in March of 2016. It currently has just under 65k and about 2 weeks ago I started having issues with my power liftgate. It will go about 85-95% closed and spring back open then chime 3 times at the top. I read that it may be obstructed and won't close. I had a dog cover in there I moved and it seemed to fix it for about 5 times then it's back to the same problem. I did reset it per the Ford instructions but still no dice. I can manually close it and I do feel some resistance at the point where it springs back, but it's almost closed and I can see what it's binding on. I sprayed a little WD-40 on the arms too to see if that would help. Nothing. I don't notice any sounds when it's shutting coming from the arms either. Now when it springs back it does not chime either. Just pops back up. Any help on troubleshooting this would be appreciated as I see to replace the arms (especially the power arm) isn't cheap.
Welcome to the Forum Andrew.:wave:
I've moved your thread to this one on the same issue found with the Forum's 'Search' feature in the upper right.
It seems the member in post #33 above has resolved his issue.

Peter

Back