• Register Today It's free!

Light bar behind grille

Nickp_

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I'd like to get a billet grille (4 pieces probably), but I'd also like to get a led light bar. I would prefer to put one behind the upper or lower grille, as I know some people have put them behind the OEM upper grille, but I'm not sure if the billet would allow enough light through to still be practical. It would be nice to have the bar hidden from sight until turned on, and wiring would be easier.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a billet grill and a 32" bar behind it. I made brackets that extend the core support wider to make it fit. I'll get a pic shortly

image_zpsk40leqb0.jpg

I went ahead and did it, and I just need to get it wired up. I bought a 22" ECCPP bar and mounted it upside down from the header panel. I had to take out the air dam, which I really won't be able to put back in unless I heavily cut it. I also had to cut the support out between the hood support and header panel.
image_zpspqfhw1ra.jpg

I know that it could be a useful part, but it didn't seem crucial to the integrity of front end, and it gave me clearance to run the lightbar behind the middle header panel support and the hood support, while giving me just enough room to squeeze it in.
image_zpsnrixehpx.jpg

After I sealed the light with RTV, I slid it behind the support and mounted it with 4" long M8 bolts through holes I drilled Ito the header panel. Then, I used some conduit as a spacer to hold the bar flush and securely, and it sits really tightly to the panel with no movement.
image_zpsp7p7o75g.jpg

It's not perfectly centered, but it is level and it is hidden pretty well behind the grille. I'm waiting for the harness to hopefully arrive today and I'll wire it in with my high beams. I'm overall pleased with it and I hope enough light gets through to make it worth mounting.

Ji
image_zpsk40leqb0.jpg

I went ahead and did it, and I just need to get it wired up. I bought a 22" ECCPP bar and mounted it upside down from the header panel. I had to take out the air dam, which I really won't be able to put back in unless I heavily cut it. I also had to cut the support out between the hood support and header panel.
image_zpspqfhw1ra.jpg

I know that it could be a useful part, but it didn't seem crucial to the integrity of front end, and it gave me clearance to run the lightbar behind the middle header panel support and the hood support, while giving me just enough room to squeeze it in.
image_zpsnrixehpx.jpg

After I sealed the light with RTV, I slid it behind the support and mounted it with 4" long M8 bolts through holes I drilled Ito the header panel. Then, I used some conduit as a spacer to hold the bar flush and securely, and it sits really tightly to the panel with no movement.
image_zpsp7p7o75g.jpg

It's not perfectly centered, but it is level and it is hidden pretty well behind the grille. I'm waiting for the harness to hopefully arrive today and I'll wire it in with my high beams. I'm overall pleased with it and I hope enough light gets through to make it worth mounting.
Just wired it up with my high beams now. Ridiculously bright and was totally worth the work
image_zpswcwoilmp.jpg

Looks great. I may have to get creative with mounting my two 4 inch pods in a similar way. The X Clamps I bought to mount them on my bull bar won't work. Bull bar is too close to the bumper for them to fit.

Looks great. I may have to get creative with mounting my two 4 inch pods in a similar way. The X Clamps I bought to mount them on my bull bar won't work. Bull bar is too close to the bumper for them to fit.
What I've thought about doing for pods is mounting them into the metal bar behind the bumper. I removed the faded trim pieces around the fog lights and I think there's good clearance for a small pod on each side, and the larger openings will provide light through the bumper. It will only really work if you have the 4-piece billet grille, because otherwise it would be a big hole. I can put up a pic if necessary

Back