Limited 20" Tire Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Limited 20" Tire Question

jjacobs122

Reaction score
I have ordered a 2012 Explorer Limited but live in a snowy area. The Hankooks that are standard tires on limited are terrible in snow.

1. Will the 2012 come with Hankooks?

2. Can you ask the factory to put a different tire on the truck?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have ordered a 2012 Explorer Limited but live in a snowy area. The Hankooks that are standard tires on limited are terrible in snow.

Thanks!

I had no trouble in snow early this year. I can attest they aren't much good for off road though. (Dirt ruts, and grass) They are great handling on paved curves and turns.

Thanks!

You can only changes the tires once it's received at the dealer. Factory will only put on what is factory OEM for the vehicle.

Thanks!
No '3 season' tire will give you the performance of a dedicated Winter tire. I found a tire shop willing to give me $80 a tire for the Hankooks when I took delivery. Put on Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires. Looking at putting on the Base model 17" steel wheels (if they fit) and possibly the 17" Yokohama Geolandar I/T G072 for the Winter. I'm still waiting to hear from MJN to see how his Parada Spec-X performed in the snow. Also, like 1tufgt stated, the factory can only install the OEM tires which I believe will again be the Hankooks.

Welcome to the 2011 Explorer Forum. :wavey:

Peter

I put my most detailed review in this post here.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305892&page=4

I did drive in deep snow with both tires. But I found it impossible to compare the two as discussed in post above.

I can only assume that the more aggressive tread and the expert opinions from people that actually rate tires means that I will get a little better traction and manueverability when I need it. Maybe tread life is better as well but only time will tell.

The term "death trap" came up alot when I read the reviews of the Hankook's so I basically just wanted something that would give me peace of mind when carting around the family.

Back