• Register Today It's free!

Limited Memory Seats

K1ng0011

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
I have a 1999 Ford Explorer Sport with no powered seats. The drivers seat needs to be replaced. I found a 2000 ford explorer 4 door limited in a junk yard with the same color interior. I want to replace the front seats in mine with the ones in the limited. Unfortunately the drives side limited seat I cant get it to move when giving it power. I looked at a bunch of posts on the forums and I am pretty sure I have it wired properly. One of the switches does cause some motor in the seat to make noise but nothing moves and none of the other switches work. I have found that there are at least two types of powered seats the memory and non-memory powered seats. I am wondering if I could switch the whole seat track with a non-memory powered seat? Or possibly even mount the seat to my manual seat track?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m pretty sure you can swap the tracks fairly easily.

That's what I did. My '98 had non-memory cloth power seats and I found nice leather memory power seats in a '96 Limited. Just swapped the tracks from my cloth seats to the Limited seats.

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer Sport with no powered seats. The drivers seat needs to be replaced. I found a 2000 ford explorer 4 door limited in a junk yard with the same color interior. I want to replace the front seats in mine with the ones in the limited. Unfortunately the drives side limited seat I cant get it to move when giving it power. I looked at a bunch of posts on the forums and I am pretty sure I have it wired properly. One of the switches does cause some motor in the seat to make noise but nothing moves and none of the other switches work. I have found that there are at least two types of powered seats the memory and non-memory powered seats. I am wondering if I could switch the whole seat track with a non-memory powered seat? Or possibly even mount the seat to my manual seat track?

You can use the Limited seat tracks, and also you can swap the tracks(and motors) from one to the other.

The seat wiring of the memory seat has the same main motor wiring and connector, but the extra wires for the memory function require some additional work. I thought I got a Limited memory seat to move back in a junkyard, but I'm not positive about that. I'm 99% sure, I also had to move a 97 Town Car left seat back to access the floor mounting bolts. That TC may be the one I'm thinking of, it has memory seat and almost identical wiring/module like the 93-99 Explorer Limited. I jumped power to the main six wire connector, in pairs you can make the seat move, there are three motors as a set in the track.

So first try to operate the motors with the one six wire connector, leaving the memory seat module wires not powered in any way. If the motors will work that way, then you can just not connect any of the memory seat module wires to anything.

I found out that there was a problem with some part of the memory seat electronic system so it would not move. I found another limited from an earlier year tested and verified and everything worked. Then I swapped the tracks and installed them in my 99 sport. Everything works except the heated seats. The earlier explorer did not have heated seats. I kept the wiring from the original seat and a module that I think was for the heated seats possibly. Anyone have details on how the heated seat wiring works?

I have the 99 Limited seats in my work truck, had the 93 Limited seats in it before, they plug in the same, the heat function is internal to the 99-01 seats. So the 99 seat has the heating elements in the seat, and the power and ground for it run through the main power wires. I never used the heat function so I don't even know if it worked, I put the 99 seats back in after one of the 93 seats broke the hinge on one side.

So if there is a module of any kind, it will be tucked inside the 99 Limited seat, near the switch I'd guess. I didn't like the 99 flat seats, thus I began with the better shaped 93 seats from my old 93 Limited.

Back