• Register Today It's free!

Lincoln aviator

jc_slick

Reaction score
City, State
New York City, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Ford Explorer XLT
I know this a Ford Explorer forum but I'd like to see Lincoln bring back the aviator with the 3.5L ecoboost engine. I kno why they got rid of it before but with enhanced technology, couldn't it be brought back?
Ford Escape=Lincoln Mkc
Ford Edge=Lincoln Mkx
Ford Expedition=Lincoln navigator
Ford Explorer=Lincoln Aviator
Ford Flex=Lincoln Mkt
Ford Taurus= Lincoln MKS
Ford Fusion=Lincoln Mkz
Ford Focus= Lincoln ???

I'd like to see the focus and explorer versions for Lincoln

What do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's the advantage of a more expensive vehicle that is based on a less expensive one?

Not sure. Ask anyone who owns the luxury brand versions of the parent companies....

Fully loaded top of the lines vs their luxury basic and mid levels.

I think Peter owns an mkt. What are the differences between the mkt and a fully loaded top of the line flex?

In general, your ford/Lincoln, Toyota/Lexus, etc. Variations will include: suspension/ride differences, sound insulation, stereos, premium materials, styling cues, color choices, etc.

We had a 2008 Lincoln Navigator and the only difference is cosmetic. I had sync added to the Navigator since it didn't come with it, and was that a nightmare. It would work half the time and since it was added the Lincoln dealer (fiesta Lincoln) was snooty about repairing it. In the end they couldn't repair it. So in frustration, I traded it in. (Months later)

I had routine service done at San tan ford and warranty items at Fiesta. I found Lincolns the same as Ford, with slightly different interior- cosmetic. I will not own another Lincoln just due to the arrogance of the staff. I want to add that the different Lincoln dealers I found had the same attitude, they were looking down their nose at the sight of wearing jeans until they found it was an all-cash deal and then I was treated like their best friend...

I know this a Ford Explorer forum but I'd like to see Lincoln bring back the aviator with the 3.5L ecoboost engine. I kno why they got rid of it before but with enhanced technology, couldn't it be brought back?
Ford Escape=Lincoln Mkc
Ford Edge=Lincoln Mkx
Ford Expedition=Lincoln navigator
Ford Explorer=Lincoln Aviator
Ford Flex=Lincoln Mkt
Ford Taurus= Lincoln MKS
Ford Fusion=Lincoln Mkz
Ford Focus= Lincoln ???

I'd like to see the focus and explorer versions for Lincoln

What do you guys think?

Let me fix your list here of what Lincoln has based their current model vehicles on:

Ford Escape=Lincoln MKC
Ford Edge=Lincoln MKX
Ford Expedition=Lincoln Navigator
Ford Explorer=Lincoln MKT (Shares same platform as Flex and MKT)
Ford Flex=Lincoln MKT (Shares same platform as Explorer and MKT)
Ford Taurus= Lincoln MKS
Ford Fusion=Lincoln MKZ
Ford Focus= None

The Lincoln MKT is already heavily based on the Explorer and the Flex which are already pretty similar excluding their outside sheet metal. I honestly think Lincoln has fallen way behind like Chrysler in terms of their innovative and luxury status compared to Cadillac, Mercedes, Volvo, and BMW. All they are under the hood is repackaged Fords. There's nothing awesome like a sweet performance flagship vehicle like Cadillac has with their CTS-V. Ford is really lacking in their performance aspect in Lincolns.

I'd rather Ford come out with Platinum trims like they do with the F-150 and Explorer and make them super luxury versions. Fords can be so much better if it was not for Ford watering down their cars to make their Lincoln's SEEM better.

The dealership where I buy Fords from had to markdown their MKZ sedan to 35K from 50K and lose money because Ford tries to be like Cadillac and not provide incentives but Lincoln's aren't that prestigious anymore.

If they make a high performance Aviator that really competes with a Land Rover, then I'd consider buying a Lincoln, but there's really nothing Lincoln has to impress me, and I hope they make change the back of the MKT cause it looks weird as hell.

Let me fix your list here of what Lincoln has based their current model vehicles on:

Ford Escape=Lincoln MKC
Ford Edge=Lincoln MKX
Ford Expedition=Lincoln Navigator
Ford Explorer=Lincoln MKT (Shares same platform as Flex and MKT)
Ford Flex=Lincoln MKT (Shares same platform as Explorer and MKT)
Ford Taurus= Lincoln MKS
Ford Fusion=Lincoln MKZ
Ford Focus= None

The Lincoln MKT is already heavily based on the Explorer and the Flex which are already pretty similar excluding their outside sheet metal. I honestly think Lincoln has fallen way behind like Chrysler in terms of their innovative and luxury status compared to Cadillac, Mercedes, Volvo, and BMW. All they are under the hood is repackaged Fords. There's nothing awesome like a sweet performance flagship vehicle like Cadillac has with their CTS-V. Ford is really lacking in their performance aspect in Lincolns.

I'd rather Ford come out with Platinum trims like they do with the F-150 and Explorer and make them super luxury versions. Fords can be so much better if it was not for Ford watering down their cars to make their Lincoln's SEEM better.

The dealership where I buy Fords from had to markdown their MKZ sedan to 35K from 50K and lose money because Ford tries to be like Cadillac and not provide incentives but Lincoln's aren't that prestigious anymore.

If they make a high performance Aviator that really competes with a Land Rover, then I'd consider buying a Lincoln, but there's really nothing Lincoln has to impress me, and I hope they make change the back of the MKT cause it looks weird as hell.

I heard someone say the mkx looks like a hearse. But yeah ford needs to step up their game, particularly with Lincoln. I'm rooting for them to be great.

I'd like to see the focus and explorer versions for Lincoln What do you guys think?
A Lincoln Focus? Thx! You gave me a good laugh today! Remember when Cadillac came out with the Cavalier? There is a reason Audi doesn't offer a Golf. (The new A3 is Jetta sized). Lincoln needs to shed the old man image and step up the styling. Cadillac has done a great job and have some nice vehicles on the market that can compete with Euro brands. Lincoln...God awful....

A Lincoln Focus? Thx! You gave me a good laugh today! Remember when Cadillac came out with the Cavalier? There is a reason Audi doesn't offer a Golf. (The new A3 is Jetta sized). Lincoln needs to shed the old man image and step up the styling. Cadillac has done a great job and have some nice vehicles on the market that can compete with Euro brands. Lincoln...God awful....

yeah...just like Acura has the ILX like the Honda has the Civic. Lexus IS....etc...

Not sure. Ask anyone who owns the luxury brand versions of the parent companies....

Fully loaded top of the lines vs their luxury basic and mid levels.

I think Peter owns an mkt. What are the differences between the mkt and a fully loaded top of the line flex?
I've never looked at the Flex so I can't compare them. I can compare it to the 2011 Limited I had. It is 10" longer which makes for much more 2nd row room and a better ride. It has adaptive headlights and 3 ride control settings (normal, sport and comfort). It uses real wood finishes and a better leather. Fit and finish in my Explorer was good and the MKT is even better. It also has a 2nd row refrigerated console and a 10 speaker THX2 sound system. It also has the self supporting hood when opened. No need for a hood prop. The Ecoboost engine is something I didn't have before. I'm still aiming to get either a 2017 or 2018 Platinum Ex when my lease is up.

Peter

I'm guessing that the sales numbers for the Aviator weren't enough to keep it alive. The Navigator has the 3.5L Ecoboost and I have seen a picture of an Aviator concept vehicle so I don't know if they will be bringing it back. Lincoln is in the process of revamping its lineup to try and revive interest in it. From what I've seen around my area, it seems to be working with the MKC.

Peter

I'm guessing that the sales numbers for the Aviator weren't enough to keep it alive. The Navigator has the 3.5L Ecoboost and I have seen a picture of an Aviator concept vehicle so I don't know if they will be bringing it back. Lincoln is in the process of revamping its lineup to try and revive interest in it. From what I've seen around my area, it seems to be working with the MKC.

Peter

I'm excited for their $2.5 billion investment into Lincoln. I'd love to get a Lincoln, but there isn't a single one I'd be interested in. I really don't care for the buck toothed grills. The only one I really find attractive is the navigator, but I tend to limit my cars to $50k or less and I don't really need anything that big (does anyone really?). They really need to get these cars to appeal to a younger crowd here. I also wouldn't mind seeing a AWD or RWD sports saloon with the Mustang powertrain :D

Don't get me started on the naming conventions. MKC, MKX, bla bla bla. Most people will not be able to know the difference unless you show them. I consider myself a car guy and I have to stop and think about which is which. At least GM uses 3 completely different letter combos (CTS, ATS, SRX). Ditch those dumb 3 letter names and use something people can remember.

As sad as it is to say, it may be time for Ford to dump Lincoln all together and start a whole new brand. I really want to see the Lincoln lineup flourish but it may be too late.

Lincoln fan here, but very disappointed in the doldrums they've been dwelling in. Lincoln historically was an under-stated vehicle, showed a confidence that didn't need to be shouted out, it was just assumed to be present. Whereas Cadillacs were over stated and had to "shout it out" with styling. Well, at least they can cash the visual checks they write now.:D

I lamented with the salesman when ordering my Ex Sport that what I really wanted was an Aviator-level trim. I think the upcoming Platinum trim level is going to try to fill that gap. A prop rod under the hood just doesn't cut it. And that's the very first thing that a person encounters when they check under the hood. You don't get a second chance to create a first impression.

I wanted to buy a vehicle in 2011, test drove the MKT several times, but couldn't get over a few niggles, like the MLT interface problems that were so slow to be addressed. Good now, IMHO.

Lincoln also hasn't made a performance car in a decade, since the LS was discontinued. What's that about? The latest MKZ is moving in the right styling direction, I think. Not sure what took them so long, maybe the rest of the line will follow…

There are cycles to these things, and Lincoln is long overdue for an uptick.

OK. So maybe that was a rant...:roll:

The new 2016 MKX is a move in right direction IMO and on my radar along with the Explorer Platinum when my current lease is up.

Peter

The new 2015 MKX is a move in right direction IMO and on my radar along with the Explorer Platinum when my current lease is up.

Peter

the 2016? i see they just posted it on their web site

Yeah I like the X too, but it lacks the towing capacity of the T. Going higher than needed in towing capacity, while it might be a small advantage while you are actually towing, is a big disadvantage when you are not towing. Which is why the Navigator is out and the Aviator in. I tow less than 5% of the time.

The 5000 lb capacity of the Ex is just a bit higher than what I need (about perfect, and with a safety margin), so I am not sacrificing too much when I'm not towing. The T was also right on the mark with my towing requirement.

You chose the T over the X, Peter; you needed something bigger than the X? Or the new X is more appealing?

the 2016? i see they just posted it on their web site
My post has been corrected. I should have said 2016. Thanks sloop.:thumbsup:

Peter

markls8, I don't tow anything so that part doesn't matter. I got a great deal on the current MKT when the dealer wanted my 2011 Ex Ltd back after 3 years of a 4 year lease. My current lease will be up April 1st, 2017 so I'll be looking at both the Platinum and MKX at that time, given current designs. Not sure if the MKT will still be around.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back