03 lincoln aviator | Page 40 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 lincoln aviator

Can you find new heads? Will Boomin's motor drop in? Might be cheaper to call those heads cursed and move on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you find new heads? Will Boomin's motor drop in? Might be cheaper to call those heads cursed and move on.
I can at a pretty penny..the 5.4 isnt a drop in deal and more than id want to deal with..and yes they definitely are cursed!!

I'm in as much disbelief as you are. That style of head must be very difficult to work with. It makes no sense.

I'm in as much disbelief as you are. That style of head must be very difficult to work with. It makes no sense.
It seems that way but then again this is the main style of heads everyone runs on the big 1,000+ mod motor builds and definitely dont hear about them having problem after problem

I have no clue about what the smoke related to the heads could be. But what's the chance that the EGR system is somehow flowing too much and at the wrong time? Did you disable that or is it still functioning?

I have no clue about what the smoke related to the heads could be. But what's the chance that the EGR system is somehow flowing too much and at the wrong time? Did you disable that or is it still functioning?
Its disabled. .its gotta be guide related. .just dont understand how it didnt smoke when they wore completely out last time

ummm... Just wondering.. I remember hearing a story of someone who rebuilt their motor and put the rings on upside down so that all of the oil got forced into the cylinder instead of wiped down the skirt and that it smoked like crazy....

Any change that a ring got put in wrong somewhere or there is a seized up ring ?

ummm... Just wondering.. I remember hearing a story of someone who rebuilt their motor and put the rings on upside down so that all of the oil got forced into the cylinder instead of wiped down the skirt and that it smoked like crazy....

Any change that a ring got put in wrong somewhere or there is a seized up ring ?
No the bottom end got rebuilt and ran with the heads from this shop for over 500 miles,never smoked a bit till i lost compression. .the guides totally wore out,why it didnt smoke then idk

Now the heads have been rebuilt again and it smokes..

I went by the shop today to show them it was smoking and of course it didnt smoke the 2 times i started it..it has to sit for about 10 mins and then it will smoke..

He said that the guides were if anything, on the tight side and swears it cant be the guides..he swears it had to been smoking before i lost compression with as bad as the guides last time and that it could be just oil in the exhaust..

I tried to tell him it definitely didnt smoke and that i had over 30 miles on it and if it was oil why didnt it just smoke??? He looked dumb founded and said ""just give her some more miles and see what happens ""

Sooo yea...5 rebuilds(3 @ old shop 2 at this one), both shops put cams in wrong spots,5 different sets of guieds and it still smokes and isnt right...

hmmm.... Well where else can oil get in ?

PCV. Is the vent good ? IS the pipe/hose full of oil by chance?

Did you check compression again with the heads freshly redone?

ummmm...???

hmmm.... Well where else can oil get in ?

PCV. Is the vent good ? IS the pipe/hose full of oil by chance?

Did you check compression again with the heads freshly redone?

ummmm...???
I run a separator. .intake has always been bone dry..the valves previous had signs of oil leaking on them..i obviously haven't had these back off to look,just got them on sunday night..

No i haven't done a compression check but definitely running on all 8,no misses or codes..its running strong so more than likely im just gonna keep a very close on oil levels as last time it burt about a 1qt every 2 weeks and caused low oil levels causing pump to run dry and throw almost all my rod bearings

How's the Aviator doing, still smoking?

Sounds like a good idea, if it stops smoking then you will know for sure it was the old heads.
I hope you get this resolved soon, I would really like to see your Ranger get a beefed up transmission that can handle all the power the engine is making.

Ordered ""new"" heads today..they are off a 2005 aviator with head cast DC..that cast have all the updates and are the frrp heads.costed me $436 shipped,i prey that dont get damaged in shipping. .

Ill be taking them down to abacus to be cleaned,decked and new seals ONLY done to them..then be swapping them onto my truck and see if it smokes..Abacus wants to see the old heads after i pull them,i told them thats fine but if looks to be guides again that i would be sending them to Fox Lake to be cnc ported and guides put in..he said he understands but just like to put his hands and eyes on them first, i agree because ill be looking for a full refund. ..

Soooooooo...

Change of plans..found out the heads have 180k on them so i dont want to risk the guides going bad or them being bad...

Soooo i went ahead and had them drop shipped to Ron at Fox Lake Performance. .i didnt want abacus messing with them any longer..

Ron is going to do the works on them,dont want to talk about cost...but they will be CNC ported,guides,decked and obviously a valve job..keeping the stock seats and valves though ..

Shame to just call it quits on the DB cast heads since they have new seats and SS valves but at this point i want heads that work and cant risk any parts being reused that are bad...

They are 4 weeks back so once i get the new heads ill pull the old ones and let abacus look at them,if guides are bad im wanting a full refund...then might strip them and sell them as cores for cheap or hold onto them for future projects. .

Whatever the cost is, its cheap compared to what you have been going thru.
Once the valves and seats are assessed, you might just be getting some new stuff there also.

You just need this problem to go away.

Whatever the cost is, its cheap compared to what you have been going thru.
Once the valves and seats are assessed, you might just be getting some new stuff there also.

You just need this problem to go away.
I agree!! The DC cast I've never seen drop a seat or read about,Ron said same and said hardened seats, or SS valves really wont be needed till like 30lbs..i plan around 18 sooo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ron got my heads today,they came on a pallet from Chuck and Eddies..good price and good customer service fyi..

But he said they look really good and he's pulled them all apart.says doesn't see any issues with them and probably can get started on them Monday. .

I prey these that i take off show bad guides so i can get my money back to ease this bank draining expense! !!

Used Auto Parts | Used Car Parts

Back