maclupton

Reaction score
City, State
Covina, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
6423138963_9ab89104cc_m.jpg

6423153803_6ce4434839_m.jpg

Just got new rims still waiting on Center caps and lugs to come in. I hate the old stock caps. Anyways I wanna take the Chrome covers that are on the foglights off but cant manage too. Either take off or paint flat black along with the chrome around grille. Think the black will look good?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First of all.
You posted in Modified 1991-1994 Explorers yours is a second gen which goes in Modified 1995-2001 Explorers or Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers.

Just so you know people will probably respond faster and more accurate if you post in the correct location of the forum.

I painted mine. The trouble is it's hard to get paint to stick to chrome. you have to scuff it really well and use a self etching primer. the grill and what not are plastic with a copper plating that is then chromed. It is real easy to go through the copper to the plastic. Ask me how I know. Don't use any power sander. I had good results with a Roloc disk and emery paper. Been about a year I think and it still looks really goos except for the spot on the grill where I went through the copper.

Optionally, you can take it to a chromer and he can reverse electrolysis to remove the chrome and copper. but even though he benefits, he's gonna charge you the same rate as to have the thing chromed.

It's not often that people post pix that are too small to see.

Sorry they are from my phone haha but thanks for the help!

Back