Loading an Explorer on a tow dolly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loading an Explorer on a tow dolly

This is pretty cool. I'm looking at a 2003 V8 explorer that has a bad engine. So no good way to load it on a dolly. Plenty of discussions online with all sorts of creative ideas.

Then I came across this video.....too funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSDUEdSqF8M

Anyone ever try this?

4x4 Explorer, or 2WD Explorer, on a tow dolly with it's front wheels off the ground, but the rear wheels on the ground equals shredded transfer case.

I'm planning on disconnecting the rear driveline.

Unless anyone else has ever used a UHaul car hauler.
Trailers are 2k lbs + and our Explorers are 5k lbs as I understand. So it's right at the 7k lbs rating if not over.

Pushing the dolly under the wheels isn't the right way to do it, but if there's no way to drive/roll the vehicle onto the dolly, it can work. I'd suggest having someone else IN the vehicle to control it just in case anything happens, though. You might want to chock the rear wheels AND have the parking brake applied as well. I'd say put the transmission in neutral instead of in park while doing it, too.

Mark the orientation (tire crayon or paint works good), then disconnect the rear driveshaft at the rear differential before towing. Just disconnecting it from the transfer case still lets it turn with the driveshaft flailing around under the vehicle at speed.

A car hauler trailer is optimal for towing, but a dolly lets you get away with towing one Explorer with another. Keep the speed down and take it easy and it should be okay, especially if it's a short drive.

Back