Location of the DPFE sensor on a 96 XLT V8. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Location of the DPFE sensor on a 96 XLT V8.

zamman69

Reaction score
City, State
Claridge,Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
hello,i'm new to the forum & looking for help! anybody out there that can tell me where the dpfe sensor is on a 96 XLT V8. i've looked everywhere around the egr,throttle body,back of the intake,firewall,i mean everywhere. i know im not overlooking it. something is causing code 402 & every symptom points to this. i put a new egr valve,position sensor,vaccum solenoid & vac lines are fine. this is the only part i can figure is causing me a headache. any help would greatly be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The DPFE is held on to a bracket that is bolted to back passenger side of intake. Just follow the vacume hose from EGR to DPFE. I had the same code. It wasn't the EGR or DPFE. The number 4 cylinder (passenger side, rear cyl) was not firing. The spark plug was black. I replaced the plug and wire, but discovered the coil was not firing. I used a spark tester between the coil and plug wire and saw a weak signal...dim light. Replaced the coil and works great.

96 v8 has no DPFE

It uses a EGR position sensor--purely mechanical position. If it doesn't sense a position change you will get either low or high egr flow code. The position sensor is linked to the egr valve--

He is right. The scan tester I used said DPFE for code PO402 but the 5.0L uses a sonic EGR system consists of an EGR valve sensor, EGR vacuum regulator solenoid, EGR valve, powertrain control module (PCM), and connecting wires and vacuum hoses.

Here is how the manual said it works: The PCM outputs a duty cycle to operate the EVR solenoid. The EVR solenoid responds by delivering some of the manifold vacuum it receives to the EGR valve, and vents the rest to the atmosphere. The EGR valve, then opens allowing exhaust gases to enter the intake system. As the EGR valve opens, it causes the EGR valve sensor to move in direct proportion to the EGR valve opening. Because this EGR system is a sonic flow system, the EGR valve sensor signal to the PCM is used as an indication of the amount of EGR flow into the engine. The PCM uses this feedback to adjust the EVR solenoid duty cycle and achieve the desired EGR flow.

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0402 indicates that self-test has detected EGR flow.

Possible causes:

Non-seated EGR valve.
Damaged EGR valve.
Damaged EGR Valve Position (EGR V.P.) sensor.
Plugged or pinched EGR valve vacuum hose.
Plugged or iced EGR Vacuum Regulator (EGR V.R.) solenoid vent. This is what I thought was the DPFE.
EVR circuit shorted to GND.
Damaged EGR Vacuum Regulator solenoid.
Damaged PCM.

Anyway, my problem wasn't found in any of the possible causes above. Mine was in the secondary ingition system (spark plug, wire, coil). Good luck

That egr valve is heck to get out of there. Before doing anything put some vacuum to the valve while the vehicle idles and see if the engine sputters.

My problem was the gasket that goes between the egr valve and the solonoid on top. Seeings your code is for "Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Excessive Detected" I would guess the egr valve isn't seating when closed. Your probably going to have to take it out to check and see if it's got carbon built up preventing it from closing tightly

I have a 96 F150 5.0. Getting the code P0401. It is insufficient EGR flow. Well I put on a new EGR valve awhile back and the code is back. Another problem is there is a ping sound or like a metal taping against metal sound coming form the valve cover (sounds like it is coming from there). It gets louder and faster as I go faster. So any suggestions from anyone. I just replaced my transmission this past weekend. That was fun. Now I need to fix this ping and get this code off. Thanks everyone for the help.

sboorse - did you ever diagnose this problem? I have the same issues (96 Ex V8) with the Insufficient Flow code and I'm tearing into it this weekend. Thanks.

Back