Lock Right Locker Install Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lock Right Locker Install Question

yostyexplorer94

Yost Offroad
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
South Central PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer
Callsign
yosty
I just got done with installing my Lock Right locker in my front differential. The cross shaft that came with the lock right was not the right one so I used the stock one.
From The Ranger Station
With your fingers push the cross shaft out of the carrier. If your cross shaft has flat sides you will need a new one. A new one may be included in your kit.
The cross shaft I used had flat sides on it and so far so good it works.? So can anyone tell me why you aren't supposed use that cross shaft and if I should be worrying. I couldn't see it hurting anything cause I evaluated the situation before I made my decision.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The stock cross pin isn't strong enough(or so i was told).

Thanks for responding, I didn't think of that. The cross shaft that came with the lock right would fit but the roll pin hole was too small. I tried drilling it out but all's I did was dull the bit cause it's hardened steel. So far it's holding up on the stock pin. I am still breaking the gears in so I haven't really gave it to her yet. Does anyone know first hand that the stock one is too weak?

It uses a odd sized roll pin(I ran into the same problem), I just ground the roll pin down(just enough to still fit tight) and thread locked it in place. I have done this on 2 lock-rights and haven't had any problems out of either one.

I ordered one also for the front of my Dana 35, front end from 91 Explorer from Randys Ring/Pinion, they said part # 2310 everything is right accept also hole for the roll pin is way to small, i think they do not have there info straight unless im wrong, they said 1991-up didnt use Roll Pin, but used the bolt stlye *bull sh**, i looked at several others I have and they are roll pin also. I called tech line for Richmond and they said I need the cross pin that come with the PT@ 2309 it has .260 center hole for cross pin, this is correct pin to use part # DS42573, so i had to buy 2nd cross pin, this is crap in my opinion.

I ordered one also for the front of my Dana 35, front end from 91 Explorer from Randys Ring/Pinion, they said part # 2310 everything is right accept also hole for the roll pin is way to small, i think they do not have there info straight unless im wrong, they said 1991-up didnt use Roll Pin, but used the bolt stlye *bull sh**, i looked at several others I have and they are roll pin also. I called tech line for Richmond and they said I need the cross pin that come with the PT@ 2309 it has .260 center hole for cross pin, this is correct pin to use part # DS42573, so i had to buy 2nd cross pin, this is crap in my opinion.

I just checked it out... if i recall right it was $1.02 for the roll pin and $12 and some odd cents to ship it. I said f:censored:ck that! So far I am still running the stock cross shaft but I am planning on changing them out soon and grinding down the stock roll pin to fit, like BLOODBANE said earlier.

Update I listed wrong part # it is? RMG-3991057REA is correct $30 from Summit, this is the center pin that comes with the 2309 kit, 2310's are not the correct kit but companies like Randys think they are so u end up in this situation, 2310's are for the Jeeps with Dana 35 rearend same other than centerpin does not use the larger dowell pin. I was on the phone with Richmond tech support, and asked about using stock pin, and he advised the strength is considerablly less and he said the flat spots would affect how the locker works? I have correct pin coming for mine but was extremely upset with Randy's Ring/Pinion, for not getting correct parts to begin with, and poor service after the sale to get corrected parts.

I think it would be in everyones best interest if you made sure Randy's has the information that you have. Don't have to be a ##### or anything but just tell them that they are wrong and they need to change things. I have always had good luck dealing with them...

I am pretty sure the flat spots have not effected the function of the locker. Mine works flawlessly so far. As far as strength goes mine has held up so far. I pulled down a shed and pulled out stumps with it. I definitely am switching the cross shaft out though cause it is only a matter of time before something happens!

Back