• Register Today It's free!

Locker Choice for 8.8 w/ls

Gone Jeepin

Reaction score
City, State
Danville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Jeep ZJ
I'm throwing an 8.8 in my ZJ later this week. Right now I'm working on all the welding and such. Well, right now it's got a track-lock or whatever the stock LSD is. I'm definetly going to put a locker in it. I'm wondering what you guys are running? I want to go with a lunchbox locker like no-slip, but for a little more I can run a full detroit. I can set gears and I installed the detroit in my ZJ, but it's still a big pain in the ass. I decided to ask you guys since well you all have 8.8's. So, I have a detroit now and love it, but is the no-slip bad? I really like the idea of not haveing to take out the carrier. BTW, anyone know where I can get a "build ford tough" sticker?
-Nate

oh yeah, peolpe always ask for pics when I post here so...
View

hope you like it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, you are a j@@per, but @ least you know whouse rears are superior :) detroits are good...so are the lunch box lockers. however, lb lockers are not as strong as the detroit. the detroit is best suited for off road hard abuse than a no slip. several here run the no slip with decent sized tires and love it. it comes down to how you want the ride, what wheeling you do, how much$ you have and things along those lines.

The only rear problem with the detroit locker in the 8.8, is you can't get the soft locker version.

I've got the detroit in my 8.8, and I love it. No problems at all, and it's great to scare people with!

As for the lunchbox lockers, a few people on this board have installed the No-Slip locker, and like it's street manners. However, if your hard-core wheeling, it probably won't stand up as well to the abuse the full detroit or the new ARB can withstand.

How bout spools. Would I have to go full floater to spool an 8.8? DAMN C-clips! My detroit in my 35c is quiet at hell. I wanted to scare people and all I got was the ability to pop wheelies around turns! It kicks ass off road though. Thanks, I don't care what they say about you guys, explorer folk kick ass. I just need a built ford tough sticker now ;)
-Nate

personally i wouldnt run a spool on the street.. if it rains you will end up spinning out. spools are great off road but if the truck is to be operated on any type of pavement ever i would go locker.....spools will cause other parts to break... like axles or gears or shat or......

Warn discontinued their full floater kit, so your stuck with the c-clip axle.

As for it breaking, I haven't heard of anyone breaking the c-clip axles.. Now, I've heard of them twisting the tubes. Also, a spool would make the truck wild on the street, just like jim mentioned.

Nate, I know what scary is! Scary is a Grand Cherokee with NO DOORS!!! :eek: :eek:

I say go with the Detroit. From the looks of your rig, you wouldn't be happy with less.

Back