Lookig for input on lifted 2wd Sports | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lookig for input on lifted 2wd Sports

chewy4x4

Reaction score
City, State
New Braunfels, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Exploder Sport 2wd
Hey I know there are more than just me out there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mines not lifted yet, but it will be eventually! I've heard a lot of people saying that lifting a 2WD is a waste of time. is 2WD with a locker a decent-enough set up for minor offroading?

(sorry if I'm jacking the thread)

I don't see a lift being much more than eye candy on a 2wd model. Otherwise you would see Neon's with 6inch lift kits all over the woods!

Most off-road use requires 4x4 because you have loose/rough ground, with 2wd your front wheels will sink in because about 66% of the weight is on the front end and they become stationary while back wheels spin. Even 4x4's get stuck doing offroad, handicapping yourself 50% off the bat isn't the best idea.

I know a guy with a ranger, he's got a 3" spindle lift up front and blocks in the back....it does terrible offroad compared to a 4x4. Pretty impressive for a 4x2 actually. But the only way I would lift a 2wd is if I were going for the "baja" look or put a long travel kit on it and make it a "desert runner"

I got a 4door 2wd stock explorer and i have been through some really rough mud. my buddy had a jeep with 44's and the mud was over his lugs and he wa crawling through. I tore through the same pit 6 times with out getting stuck. Its all about how you drive. Don't go through a rut made by 50" tires...you will just bottom out. Keep up your momentum and you will slide though...Dont start off crawling in...start with some speed so if you high center you will have a chance to slide over and get to a shallow spot...If you have a feeling there might be rocks or trees in there don't romp through it....i am in such denial... has anybody seen the truck called wild horse??? look it up on youtube.... just drive like that guy youll be fine!! 4wd is boring go 2wheeel!!!!!

well, I see plenty of capable desert truck that do well in 2wd but that's more in the sand and open desert, for mud, I guess faster will get you through but that's not the best theory as it will get you more stuck, on rocks, you will get up moderate trails but there is no substitute for some pulling power.

Alec is an old legend on this site, his Explorer Splat ran with several 4x4s on trails. He had the rear locked, a good head about driving and plenty of power which I hear would burn up the tires to get it over obstacles.

With momentum, a rear locker and airing down an agressive set of tires you would be amazed where your truck can go.

2235splat3.jpg

I see no problum with a 2wd being lifted if you plan on making it into a pre-runner or something but other than that it would be just for light trails and make it look good.

With the right setup 2wd will get through quite a bit in my wrangler I only switched on 4wd when I needed it. With the right lift tire gear combonation and a Locker they can be ok rigs. No they will never be a 4x4 but if you have buddies with you who are 4wd and you aren't stupid you can have as much fun as the rest of them.

I take my 2wd all over the place. Snow, mud, sand, and mild rocks. I agree that in the worst of conditions 2wd is a hinderance. But with a good locker and capable driver a 2wd will do fine in just about anything.

I got a 4door 2wd stock explorer and i have been through some really rough mud. my buddy had a jeep with 44's and the mud was over his lugs and he wa crawling through. I tore through the same pit 6 times with out getting stuck. Its all about how you drive. Don't go through a rut made by 50" tires...you will just bottom out. Keep up your momentum and you will slide though...Dont start off crawling in...start with some speed so if you high center you will have a chance to slide over and get to a shallow spot...If you have a feeling there might be rocks or trees in there don't romp through it....i am in such denial... has anybody seen the truck called wild horse??? look it up on youtube.... just drive like that guy youll be fine!! 4wd is boring go 2wheeel!!!!!

Obviously you can make it through anything if you take the easy line. Your stock 2wd wouldn't have made it two feet into the jeep's line. Thanks for the story though.

Ok here is a interesting question. I have seen on here Sports with 35's claiming only a TT and BL. Is it really possible and if so is it possible on a Last Gen Sport '01-'03

Possibly, it's all about how much it is used off road. Trimming the rear of the front fenders is usually the place that really needs to be addressed.

Johnstone has fiberglass fenders, torsion twist and a body lift. Glass fenders really open up some room to work.

mine's lifted a little, works good for driving down bad roads, or getting to good fishing spots.

IMG_0003.jpg

TT, warrior shackles, and 31's (but the 31's fit fine stock too)

but this summer thats all coming off and its getting lowered on street tires

Back