Looking at 4th Gen Explorer - advice needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking at 4th Gen Explorer - advice needed

BlueOval5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT AWD V8
Hi All,

We're in the market for another Explorer after selling our '98 a few years back. I'll be honest - would really want to get the bride a new one but the budget won't allow it so I am looking at the prior generation.

Would like to know what to look for in terms of problems and issues. Also, am I being stubborn in only considering the 4.6L V8 motor? This seems to be limiting the vehicles available.

May go look at one this weekend - 2010 Eddie Bauer 4x4 with 45k, 201a pkg, V8, Trailer Tow Pkg, Nav. Has the Black & Tan leather seats - kinda nutting looking. Asking price is $22k.

Thanks in advance for the assistance, much appreciated!

Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are Godly, buy it!

Identifix_Explorer.gif

Well, even if you don't believe that, at least it's still a real truck!

I have 06 EB v8

I believe that the 2010 v8 with 6r80 in Limited or EB trim are the best out there.

Do not care for the car like 2011 up.

Stick with v8.

Just me, but unless you need the larger engine for making towing heavy loads easier don't be afraid to test drive the V6 models. They do have a good amount of torque and with the factory towing package (3.73 gearing) they do a really good job of driving like the V8.

I've had both engines - a 4.6 V8 in a 2004 EB and a 4.0 V6 in my 2007 XLT which I currently drive. Both had the 5 speed automatic transmission. Other than slightly more engine noise and a little slower merging with traffic on the Interstate, I have noticed little difference with the V6. Gas mileage? About the same - around 15 in town and 21 or better on the open highway. Am I a slow driver? No - 30 years with State Police - I don't speed, but don't baby it getting there.

Back