looking for a little info

Gadget X

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gibsonville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 5-speed
I recently swapped all my A4LD stuff out for an M5OD, and I am MUCH happier now! Only problem I'm having is that my ecm is still the same auto computer, as the only manual ecm I could find was from a 93. Didn't find out until later that they changed stuff around for the 94. I thought I had really screwed something up bad when I first fired it back up! My question is this: are there any years of manual ranger ecm that are compatible with my 94 ex, or am I "stuck" hunting down a manual ecm from a 94 ex?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't technically need to change the ECM.

In my 93, I'm still running the auto ECM. There's a couple things you need to do wiring wise to make it work.

You need to connect up the 3-4 shift solenoid and the Torque converter lockup solenoid. I took these solenoids out of the auto transmission itself and wired them up. You acn also use an appropriate sized resistor (can't remeber off the top of my head). this fakes the computer into thinking that the auto is still there.

There's another wire connected to the transmission that you have to ground as well. Can't for the life of me find which it is.

I swapped all the wiring over, so that's not an issue. The only issue I think the ecm will resolve is the idle. It idles a little high for my liking, and it "dwells" on the high side before it returns to idle. I read somewhere on here that that was one of the things that the manual ecm would fix. I just don't know which ecm would be compatible with my 94, as the 91-93 explorers were all batch fire, and the 94 is sequential. Will I be able to run an ecm from a ranger, or are they different from explorer ecms? Thanks!

Ok so i dont know what the difference between the ranger and the explorer would be, but a quick search showed 5 different ecms for the ranger 4.0l mt:
F37F-UC
F37F-UBMR
F37F-UB
F37F-UA
F37F-LA
And only 3 ecms for the '93 explorers:
F37F-YB
F47F-CMA
F47F-CMAMR
Keep in mind i searched for 4x4, federal emissions, and manual transmissions only.

Generally you want to match the ECM to the vehicle, in the particular case if you got the manual trans out of a 94 it would have been good to get the ECM to go with it.

It looks like there are only a few ECMs for a 94 Explorer with a manual, the F47Z-12A650-KA and similar F47Z-12A650-KB.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1119631,parttype,2896,a,Ad+Code+www.google.com+

As for using ECMs from a Ranger, you can probably use the F47F-12A650-CMA/F47Z12A650-CMA, but it may not do anything for the idle issue. I'm using one in place of the stock ECU for my '93 and it works great except the idle is high.

However, you may just want to keep the auto ECM if you haven't changed anything on the engine. Things are slightly different (camshaft, timing, etc.) on the engines that come with a manual vs. the ones that came with an auto. Unless you get the camshaft from a 93-94 4.0L OHV that came with a manual, the engine is probably going to perform best with the ECM that it was designed for.

I thought about using the ecm from the same truck the transmission came from, unfortunately, it was a 93, and mine is a 94, hence the batch fire issue. I'll probably just deal with the higher idle. Was NOT aware that there were differences in the engine between the auto and the manual!

Back