Looking for a mid size pickup for about $1000 - HELP with ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for a mid size pickup for about $1000 - HELP with ranger

Capman2k

Reaction score
City, State
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Ranger XLT
Well I have my Explorer (pics at: http://community.webshots.com/album/52543991BmLBbj) finally, and want to make it a street truck with a 3 inch body lift, 32 inch tires, custom paint, a nice sound system, intake and exhaust mods, and a whole list of other stuff...

What I want now is a Ranger to be a second vehicle. I would use it for camping and other activities where paint damage may be present, or for getting parts for the explorer, moving out some day, hauling the dogs, and something to have around if the Explorer breaks down...

There is a pretty nice 80's Ranger up the road for $1000. I looked at the sign on the back window of the topper and it said "good work truck, $1000." I don't remember if it mentioned how it runs, but I assume it does since it had to get to where it is somehow... I couldn't see any rust (but it was 10:15 pm in a snowstorm), the topper looks good, it has a thing on the front (brush guard without the side arm thingies), 4wd, and what looks like an unattached roll bar in the bed. The doors were locked and I couldn't tell in the dark if it was auto or standard or how the interior looked.

If it's still there when I HAVE $1000 (I'm kinda broke after paying for the Explorer and getting it registered), what should I look for? Are there any common problems with these 80's Rangers, and what are some overall opinions on them?

And just because I can I'm going to say that on the same block there's a Mazda pickup (looks like early 90's) and a Jeep Commanche for sale... I would also take an 80's Toyota... anything that's cheap, runs, has 4wd, is a pickup, and isn't rusted out...

You can sortof tell th year by looking at it, if it is a 89 or newer, it will have a grill and front like your X, if its older, it will be the older style. I belive the autos use A4LD trannys, so you may be weary of that if it is an auto. If it is a V6, it will probably be the 2.9, or the older 2.8. The 2.9 is a pretty strong motor, and fairly similar to the 4.0 in your X. I think some of the 4 cylinder models had 8 spark plugs, one on top and one on bottom of each cylinder, and they were a pain in the ass to change em all. I had an 89 Ranger XLT before I got my X, and it was a GREAT vehicle. Other than regular maintainence, I never had a single problem with it. Good luck.

Make sure it isnt a 2.8. Ive never seen one of the run right in a street vechicle. Also the 2.9 that was available starting in 1986 is a fairly decent motor. Make sure though the radiator isnt all plugged up cause they like to crack heads if over heated. Also pull dip stik and check oil for any water in it. It will be a A4LD auto if it 86 up or a C5 auto if it is 85 down. Will probably have a dana 28 front axle which is weak and like to break. (i broke it for times in 8 months before upgrade) but is ok in snow light wheeling with small tires (under 30s). That about it. I have 225k on my ranger and does pretty well. The trannys arent teh strogest but they can work as well.

Matt

Back