Looking for advice on purchasing an Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for advice on purchasing an Explorer

1 Broke Dad

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mercury Mountaineer
Hello. I am looking at purchasing an Explorer for my wife and I wanted to see if there were any years or options that I should stay away from. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I love my 05 EB 4.6v8 k&n airfilter, Magnaflow cat-back. I'd buy this one all over again. Bought it with 75k on it. all main't documented and upto date.It generally gets18-19mgp. The windowsticker said 14-18. the dash says more. I'll do real gagingstarting tomorrow, nest fillup.

Stay away from the V6! Huge timing chain issues.

Also check for a whining/noise from the rear end, differentials need rebuilding sometimes, too.

I disagree on the v6, there are hundreds of thousands of sohc 4.0 v6 explorers running strong. they are a very reliable engine. however you'll likely see similar gas mileage from the v8, so don't pass based on mpg.

I see you posted on both the 3rd gen and 4th gen areas. for 3rd gens (02-05) 02 and 03 seem to have had the most issues (but also the oldest, so that makes sense) common issues include wheel bearings, rear differential whine, and transmission troubles. for 4th gens, (06-10) i believe there were some radiator issues on 06 v6s 06+ v8s had 292 HP and a 6spd auto which is a nice combo that gives good power and decent mileage. 06 door handles (interior) were a little akward this was fixed in 07. 08+ you could get microsoft sync.

packages included xls, xlt, eddie bauer, and limited (in order of features and price). 4x2, 4x4, and AWD options 4.0 V6 and 4.6 V8 engines and 5 and 6 speed auto transmissions.

I've seen alot posted about the 02 as being troublesome but I bought one about 6 months ago that had over 140k on it and it's been great so far. But the previous owner had to put three transmissions in it, the last one about 20k before I bought it.

But it runs strong and quiet, no drive train noises. Check the Oasis history before buying to see what's been done at the dealership at least.

I think you have to do a little more due-diligence on these vehicles than most because of their troubled past.

I disagree on the v6, there are hundreds of thousands of sohc 4.0 v6 explorers running strong.

Yes, after having expensive timing chain repairs. It's not a matter of if, but when. The tensioners/cassettes will fail.

Thanks for the help. I'll keep this in mind.

My 3rd Gen 03' Runs like a champ.

I love it. Only thing I wish, was that I bought an XLT instead of settling for an XLS. Though the XLS, she's my baby. lol.

Hmmm....DON'T! I have a 2002 V6 Limited with 160,000K on it. I've replaced all the wheel bearings ($140.00 each), the 4x4 switch is going out ($600.00), which has already been replaced once, the rear differential leaks ($200.00), the transmission slips when it gets hot, new battery, new alternator, the rear hatch doesn't unlock (makes the unlock sound, but doesn't unlock), the rear hatch window leaks, the plastic on the hatch window cracked right down the middle, the parking lights flash all the time for no apparent reason, replaced all the door sensors (they still say door ajar), the windshield leaks, the radio turns itself up and down, the alarm goes off when the hood is opened, the leather is cracked, the front defroster kills the engine in the winter when the A/C unit kicks on for the defrost....that's all I can think of right now. It's sad the person who owned it before me worked for Ford and I have all the service records from it. The radio and the windshield leak we both addressed once before and there is about 30 pages of service records. I think she is beautiful and everytime I drive it I fall in love with it over again, but if I had to redo it, I would not have bought it. I paid WAY too much money for a money pit. I don't know anything about the '06+, but would highly recommend staying away from the '02-'05!

don't buy a v6 motors they are a headach. and get a 2006-2010. I have a 03 v6, and an 07 v8 night and day difference. the 07 inside and out is a way better truck it seems like ford fixed all the problems from 2002-2005 body style.

2003-2005 is a nickle and dimer

I agree - stay away from the '02-'05. I have a 2002 XLS and it has been a bunch of headaches. Another VERY annoying problem that can't be solved is that U-haul will NOT rent to Explorers, so if you want to tow a rented trailer, don't plan to do it with an Explorer.

Tom

My 03 XLT was one of the best vehicles I've ever had. Would still have it if it wasn't wrecked. Only problem I had, but lived with, was the hum from the rear differential. The 4.0 ran flawlessly for 170k miles.

In general, the ones you should avoid are high mileage 97-00 models with 4.0L SOHC V6. The 4.0L OHV V6 and the 5.0L OHV V8 of the 2nd Gens are great engines that will last a long time. There are some shift issues with the 5R55E transmissions (V6 only) at high mileages, so your best bet for 2nd Gens would be the 5.0L V8 because it uses the beefier the 4R70W. For 3rd Gens, AVOID the 2002 4 Door. The 2002 Sport and Sport Trac are good vehicles, so they don't have the problems like the 4 door. Other then that, the all 2003-2005 3rd Gens are good. For the 4th Gens, they are all good, but the best all around seems to still be 4.0L V6. The 4.6L V8 has a few cases of problems with the 6 speed automatic, but you could check to see if it has been fixed.
-Will

I vote NO on the 2002 V6's

Well I just dumped $1,600 into the timing chain/valve job issue on an '02 4.0... so my vote is NO on that model.... We aren't planning to be purchasing any more Explorers for awhile. But good luck on your search.

Dont buy a 2003 Xlt V6 4.0L SOHC I just paid 4500 dollars for it and went 23 miles and the timing guid broke in it.I called the last owner and he said he had all 3 of them replaced 2 years ago.The ford dealer I think is trying to rip me off they want 2400 dollars to fix it and I dont think thats the problem since last owner had them replaced.

Don't overlook the mountaineer's. I was looking to buy an explorer and found one at the dealership, but he showed me an identical mountaineer with about 130,000 less miles on it than the 200,000 mile explorer. I ended up with the mountaineer. Seems like a great vehicle so far.

Having owned 4 different Ford SUV's, 3 Explorer 1 Expedition, over the last 20 years (94, 98, 00 04) and a few other models (Durango, Grand Cherokee) I have some experience with them. All the Explorers had the 4.0. I do most of my own work on my stuff, but have a good mechanic for stuff I just don't want to do, have never been to a dealer except maybe to buy small parts I can't find online.

I recently sold my 00 Explorer XLT 4.0 and bought a 04 Explorer XLT 4.0. Both had about 90k miles when I bought them. The 00 was the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned, and I have owned 50+. Nothing on it ever broke, was replaced, rebuilt or repaired except normal items like brakes, tires, two batteries. I changed the oil about every 5k miles, that was about it. Never even charged the AC and it was still ice cold when I sold it at 178k miles. Always got right at 20MPG.

I bought the new (to me) 04 Explorer last month, 4.0, 2WD XLT 17" wheels for $5300. Looks like new in and out, silver/gray, tinted windows which you have to have down here in FL. Much bigger and more room inside, much quieter and better ride (independent suspension), and overall just a great looking SUV. Two things I didn't like about it was too much cheap plastic inside and the MPG in city, but fixed the few broken plastic parts and working on the MPG. I've been keeping an accurate measurement and drive easy, city about 15, hwy about 19 - I drive mainly in the city.

Have never had timing chain problems as mentioned above, and really have had very little overall problems with any of them. That's why I keep getting a newer one every 5 years or so.

Back