• Register Today It's free!

Looking for good 12V power ideas

absentx

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 V8 Limited
So I have an 07 EB V8 and I will admit I am a bit dissappointed with the power point selection. Basically two is not enough for me and a lot of times I have things I need to plug in 120V style like my computer. So theoretically I could have a computer plugged in and charging, a gps on 12V and my phone charging on 12V

Has anyone hardwired in any other power ports or mounted a nice invertor somewhere in the cab?

Just looking for a nice way to get a lot more electric power to the cab in both 12V and 120V options and would like to see if anyone has come up with some good solutions or what you might be using to get more power.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The center console of the mountaineers have one on the center console, one in the center console storage compartment and one under the HVAC vents on the back of the center console facing the second row seats. My thought is to just change out the center console assembly to the style with more plugs, junk yards should have the part in the color you need.
As far as a 120 line goes, I don't think it is really necessary since you can get 12v laptop chargers.

Edit: It seems that my brain is confusing the center console of my other vehicle with the 06 mountaineer. Twilight Zone moment... I need to physically verify the next time before posting sorry.

My 08 EB has 3 as well.

Wow that is quite frustrating...did 07's just only have two?

Let me check the center console storage...

Nope nothing there...darn. Appears that was a nice addition for the 2008 models.

The center console of the mountaineers have one on the center console, one in the center console storage compartment and one under the HVAC vents on the back of the center console facing the second row seats. My thought is to just change out the center console assembly to the style with more plugs, junk yards should have the part in the color you need.
As far as a 120 line goes, I don't think it is really necessary since you can get 12v laptop chargers.

Are you sure the center console on a 06 mountaineers has 3 power outlet sockets...I just looked on fordparts.com at a mountaineer it only got 2

I also changed out the center console in but be careful as 2009-2010 vehicles has a much darker camel interior then the 2006-2007. If you get center console look at 2008 eb, i believe the only way you would be able to do this if you solder the wires together if you want factory, or you can replace your entire dash harness with a 2008 you can get them for 150-250 if you find a good salvage yard.

I installed one in the cargo area of my 2nd gen. Would be easy to add to any year though. I used one made for a truck bed, so it could take abuse in the cargo area.

Are you sure the center console on a 06 mountaineers has 3 power outlet sockets...I just looked on fordparts.com at a mountaineer it only got 2

I also changed out the center console in but be careful as 2009-2010 vehicles has a much darker camel interior then the 2006-2007. If you get center console look at 2008 eb, i believe the only way you would be able to do this if you solder the wires together if you want factory, or you can replace your entire dash harness with a 2008 you can get them for 150-250 if you find a good salvage yard.

Early 06 model and yes (actually no see edit) it has 3 along with the heated leather seats. The only option it doesn't have is the adjustable pedals.

Edit: It seems that I have been in the twilight zone the whole time regarding my non existant 3rd power outlet in the center console. I went to take a picture of it to send to rusty and to my suprise it wasn't there... my muddled brain tells me one thing but the facts state something else completely different.

On my previous Sport Trac I hard-wired another plug in the console. Took the top off the console, drilled a hole in the side of it for the plug, and used clip-on wire splicers on the wires to the existing plug. I was just powering an XM receiver from the new plug so it didn't draw much and I never blew a fuse.

Back