Looking for help with no dash and hvac lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for help with no dash and hvac lights

CodyN

Reaction score
City, State
Fargo, North Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Hello all, I recently purchased a 1995 XLT Ford Explorer from a friend. The vehicle has a kink or two to work out, but the most important safety issue I have to address is the lack of dash lighting(including the hvac lighting). I searched through the old posts and found some tips for the gen I vehicles in which the rheostat and headlight switch were one assembly. Usually replacing it seemed to fix your problems. However my 1995 has separate units for the rheostat and switch. I am able to get functionality out of the rheostat(dimmer) when the headlights are on in that I can dim the compass and temperature on the overhead display. I can also use it to turn my dome lights on and off. I just don't have any dash lights. I have found no bad fuses. Would replacing the headlight on/off switch potentially fix my problem? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks -Cody

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The dash lights don't usually come on unless the head light switch is in the on position. The rheostat seems to be secondary to the headlamp switch on mine. My Chilton's nor Hanes books show any interior lighting schematics so I will try to find a link to a Ford book meanwhile.

Check the voltage to your headlight switch. Especially wires going to the dimmer.

Quick Update: I had time this morning to change out the headlight switch and saw no change in the behavior of my problem, I will have to mess with it some more after work today.

Are you positive the bulbs are not just all shot?? Seems about the right age for them all to be gone. Does your defroster or rear wiper switch light up?

Are your running lights working? Double check all of your fuses. The dash lights are tied into your running lights circuit. I had this problem with my 96 ex. Took me a few days to figure out too cause i thought i checked every fuse. xD

Mike

I had time to determine that there are some good bulbs. I found that the bulbs for the temperature control and fan are good, but lacking power. I stopped by the Ford dealership today and they were kind enough to give me the complete illumination system schematic. Hopefully I will be able to start working backwards and find where the juice stops coming down the line.
PS. If anyone else needs that schematic I would be happy to send it to them

I got the problem fixed. It ended up being the dimmer switch in the dash. I got a used one from the local salvage yard for 10 bucks. The dealership wanted 18 times that much for a new one. Thanks for everyone's input helping me along! I look forward to being an Explorer owner.

I got the problem fixed. It ended up being the dimmer switch in the dash. I got a used one from the local salvage yard for 10 bucks. The dealership wanted 18 times that much for a new one. Thanks for everyone's input helping me along! I look forward to being an Explorer owner.
It is surprising that you cannot get that dimmer (?rheostat?) on Amazon, but yet you can easily purchase a headlight switch.

Why don't they have replacement dimmers?

Back