Looking For New Rockers and Lifters for 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking For New Rockers and Lifters for 5.0

Cali' Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0
Hey all. I have been having issues with my 5.0 Explorer. The dealer has done a bunch of work to it, but I don't honestly trust them. I have also heard the stock Ford Lifters are kind of cheesy. I am looking to replace the stock Lifters and Rockers with aftermarket units.

The thing I'm having an issue with is finding what size or what Part #'s I can use in the aftermarket field.

I definately want to get new Rocker Arms (preferably roller Rockers) and new lifters (I believe the 97 5.0's are roller lifters). I also should probably replace the pushrods as well... so any quality pushrod sets to replace with would be nice as well.

I'm not planning on doing this today... but I am working on getting parts together and spending a whole weekend working on the engine some point in the near future, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

www.jegs.com
www.summitracing.com

go with 1.6 rockers and not 1.7's. you are correct, the explorer 5liter is just like the mustang, it is a roller motor.

what exactly is wrong with it?

James-
There's nothing really wrong with it except for the exhaust manifold leak (AGAIN) that I will be fixing with the Dead Soft Aluminum gaskets and the Stage-8 locking bolts.

I've just heard a lot of people talking about how bad the stock Ford Lifters are, and I just personally feel better knowing exactly what parts are in the car, what has and hasn't been replaced, and what everything looks like. So, even thought they have replaced them, I feel safer doing it myself and knowing its done right, and if a problem does occur, that I can fix it. Just personal preference.

Also, are the rocker arms up top also roller? I thought it was just the bottom end that was roller, but if the top end is, that's even better.

the stock rockers are not roller.... just the cam/lifters.

A member of this site should be able to help you Doug904. He runs http://www.4.0performance.com/

Yes I know you have the 5.0 but he might be able to help

OK, as a current 450hp supercharged mustang owner (trading it for the explorer this weekend) i can tell you this.

I have never heard of the ford lifter being a weak link anywhere, as a matter of fact the only real option to a stock hydraulic roller lifter is a set of VERY expensive ($300+) lifters from a couple of the cam manufacturers, but i dont see a need for that in your setup, if you want to replace them, id go with stick replacement.... they can be had for around 100 bucks at summit racing. as far as the rocker arms go, a good set of roller rockers will free up a bit of horsepower to to decreased friction in the valvetrain, you will neeed a set of pedestal mount rockers, not stud mount. if your pushrods arent bent, id just reuse them, pushrods are pushrods, unless you get the hardedned ones, which you only need when running guideplates, or extremely heavy springs.... neither of which applies to you

hope my first post here helped you a bit.

heres my current car.... (itll be missed)

http://home.comcast.net/~eric90gt

Originally posted by V8BoatBuilder
Check this thread, section525 is installing a new camshaft, lifters, rockers, yada yada.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85421

Definitley do the cam if you are going this far, the Explorer's stock cam is a dog.

I cant say i agree there... as far as the stock cam specs, i dont know, but taking off the valve covers and intake, as opposed to the entire front of the engine are completely different things.... now, if he we replacing head gaskets, id say yeah, slap a cam in there.

But my advice is, leave the stock lifters/pushrods, and slap on a nice set of roller rockers. If the explorer uses the same setup as a mustang, id say spend the extra $$ on a nice set of underdrive pulleys.

i've never heard of ford having bad roller lifters either there are normally pretty durable i,ve seen stock mustang motors that have close to 2 hundred thousand hard miles with no lifter noise whats so ever, however comp cam sell some that look just like fords if your looking at throwing some money around i'd buy the roller rockers (1.7's) and get a little more lift

fastford-
Not to dog your info, because I believe you have friends with 200+ K, but my 80K X has already had to have the lifters replaced because 6 of the 8 were collapsed. This is my main reason for wanting to do this, I want to upgrade everything with top of the line. I'm sure I'll squeeze a few horse but I'm happy with the stock performance, I am just going for reliability which Ford has not astounded me with

Not to dog Ford either, because I personally love Ford... my last 3 vehicles have all been Ford's and with the exception of these few problems I'm having I've never had a problem with them. And with 80K on the clock, I personally expect it because I drive the hell out of my X.

I would go to 1.7's but don't those require a custom pedastal... or at least custom valve covers?

Rocket had 1.7s with no headwork and stock covers I believe. Why 1.7s instead of 1.6s?

section525-
The 1.7's give you more lift which supposedly allows more air in and more exhaust out. At least that's my understanding. Basically, going to 1.7's will give you minor performance gains over the stock 1.6's.

Yeah, but it will also raise your usable power to higher rpms. Rocket went to a higher stall convertor because of the change in powerband. If you want to keep the power down low.. I'd stick with 1.6s. :D

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA-851-16

there are some aftermarket lifters for you, like i said, id stick with the stock pushrods as long as theyre straight.

1.72 rockers wont require any different pedestal than 1.6's and should clear a stock valve cover.... im not sure what the explorer uses for valve covers, but i know a 1.7 rocker will fit under a stock 87-93 mustang valve cover.

1.7 should fit under they fit in my stang with no promblem they were stock on some cobras i was told that with 1.7s and the stock explorer cam the lift should be between a b and e cam ford uses the same roller lifter in all its v-8 motors(i bought mine for a cleveland brand new at a swap meet for i think 40.00) u can buy oem replacements from comp cam which will retain your stock pushrod length or u can get the cross bar lifters which u will have to have different lenght pushrod i run the comp cam oem replacements in my 351 stang and they seem fine (i'm only running a e cam though)

Back