Looking for your opinion

mfitz725

03 EB 4x4 4.6l making it thru in NC
Reaction score
City, State
Albemarle NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4x4
As I think I noted on a previous post my 99 Limited 4x4 4.0 SOHC decided Dec 14 that the transmission wasn't going to transmission any longer. I'm not sure I could handle a trans job, engine I don't hesitate. I.had just finished paying off $1100front end job(had nowhere to work on it then) and doing water pump thermostat and housing and upper lower intake gaskets. Estimate to repair 3k.
Don't really think I should invest more.

I have found a 2003 Eddie Bauer 4X4 4.6 v8 that.runs /drives strong. 190k on the clock and nerd some cosmetic things and I can get it for 2k. I'm aware of the 5r55e trans reputation but can't find fault in the vehicle at this time.

I'm asking for anyone's thoughts on this move.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually in the 02-05 3rd gens, it's the 5r55w which is a slightly different beast (one piece magnesium case, different tail housing, etc). Biggest issues with those is servo bore wear. Ford used the soft magnesium casing, so over time the actuation of the servo caused the bore to wear out and leak. This usually leads to slow or no engagement in certain gears. Common aftermarket fix is open up the bore and sleeve it.

Actually in the 02-05 3rd gens, it's the 5r55w which is a slightly different beast (one piece magnesium case, different tail housing, etc). Biggest issues with those is servo bore wear. Ford used the soft magnesium casing, so over time the actuation of the servo caused the bore to wear out and leak. This usually leads to slow or no engagement in certain gears. Common aftermarket fix is open up the bore and sleeve it.

Thanks, I'm familiar with with the procedure, came across a reference to on a forum post and also watched a YouTube video on same.

Sorry, my mistype error. I had found a chart on the forum here that gave correct trans by year model.

The best 3rd or 4th gen engine/transmission combination for reliability is the 2006-2010 V8s. The 6R80/6R60 transmissions are quite reliable. Second is the 2002-2005 V8s. Unless you can confirm the transmission has been rebuilt/replaced in the one you are considering, then there is high odds a transmission failure is coming soon. My advice is to find the lowest mileage 2006-2010 V8 at a price you can live with.

I agree. Get a 2006+ V8.

My 2004 V8 is till running strong at 233k miles, but it's been shifting sloppily for 2 or 3 years now.
Just recently, door ajar problems, brake failure while driving (2nd time).

It never ends with high mileage cars. I'm becoming quite the mechanic lol.

Any car I purchase for 2k is one I expect I’m going to have issues with, and need to do regular repairs, especially with 190k on the clock.

Any car I purchase for 2k is one I expect I’m going to have issues with, and need to do regular repairs, especially with 190k on the clock.

The good thing with the one he is considering is the 2v 4.6L can go 300k-400k miles with good maintenance. Also, replacing timing chains/guides is a much less expensive repair than a 4.0L V6 engine. This makes throwing money at a transmission issue much more tenable than doing the same with a 4.0L SOHC engine with 190k miles.

The good thing with the one he is considering is the 2v 4.6L can go 300k-400k miles with good maintenance. Also, replacing timing chains/guides is a much less expensive repair than a 4.0L V6 engine. This makes throwing money at a transmission issue much more tenable than doing the same with a 4.0L SOHC engine with 190k miles.
This is pretty much my feeling on this. I've a lot of confidence in the 4.6l. History on the vehicle is not available as it was a repo. Going to get a carfax and see what info might come to light.

For the Atlanta area that's where market prices are running for similar year/model/mileage examples. I actually live in NC now after living Atlanta metro since 96. In NC prices are even higher (asking price as opposed to final sale). Apparently there is a market at these prices as many vehicles I've called on were already sold.

I’m sure there’s a market for cheap cars. I have no issue of that price. I just wouldn’t expect a long term, trouble free runner.

I agree. Get a 2006+ V8.

My 2004 V8 is till running strong at 233k miles, but it's been shifting sloppily for 2 or 3 years now.
Just recently, door ajar problems, brake failure while driving (2nd time).

It never ends with high mileage cars. I'm becoming quite the mechanic lol.
I've become a much better one starting with the 94 I bought in 98.

This is pretty much my feeling on this. I've a lot of confidence in the 4.6l. History on the vehicle is not available as it was a repo. Going to get a carfax and see what info might come to light.

Getting a Carfax is a really good idea. I won't buy a used vehicle with a decent amount of miles on it without having one. If they show the vehicle has lived its life in an area that heavily salts the roads I take a pass on it. Or is there has been accident damage, salvage title etc.

Getting a Carfax is a really good idea. I won't buy a used vehicle with a decent amount of miles on it without having one. If they show the vehicle has lived its life in an area that heavily salts the roads I take a pass on it. Or is there has been accident damage, salvage title etc.
It's a repo, but the carfax looks real good
Regular servicing oil changes even transmission fluid changes.

I think I’d judge the salt damage visually, not just it’s geographical location. My Mounty lives in the rust belt. It doesn’t get driven all winter.

Even with the high mileage (233k), I'm still going to replace the transmission, whenever it fails.
That old saying, the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.
Only thing that's going to take my Mounty is rust/failed inspection, accident, or theft.
Fix it, and enjoy...beats a monthly car payment!

I think I’d judge the salt damage visually, not just it’s geographical location. My Mounty lives in the rust belt. It doesn’t get driven all winter.
No rust. Carfax shows initial sale in VA and then relocation to GA.

Even with the high mileage (233k), I'm still going to replace the transmission, whenever it fails.
Only thing that's going to take my Mounty is rust/failed inspection, accident, or theft.
I used to feel that way until I bought a new car. The 100-150 or so in overall cost per month is far worth it to me to never have to worry about working on stuff.

I believe that as well but I couldn't cover the cost of repairs now, but do have enough to get something for now. I going to hang on the 99 and eventually get it fixed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used to feel that way until I bought a new car. The 100-150 or so in overall cost per month is far worth it to me to never have to worry about working on stuff.
Well I'm one of those nut jobs that enjoys working on stuff. It's actually helped me understand Zen

Back