Looking into a 2016 Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking into a 2016 Explorer Sport

GVDub

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Sport
Going to look at a loaded 2016 Explorer Sport at the local Carmax this weekend. 90% likely that I will pull the trigger on the purchase, but I want to know if there are any specific things I should be looking for (like getting under the car and checking the weep hole on the water pump, or listening for cam phase issues, which are two things I've seen about the 3.5L Turbo).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. I do not know about those engines, but I am sure someone here will be around to answer your question. Try posting your question in the sub forum for that year Ex. I would get under it & give the underside a good checkover for any leaks or problems that may be hiding from up top.

Going to look at a loaded 2016 Explorer Sport at the local Carmax this weekend. 90% likely that I will pull the trigger on the purchase, but I want to know if there are any specific things I should be looking for (like getting under the car and checking the weep hole on the water pump, or listening for cam phase issues, which are two things I've seen about the 3.5L Turbo).
How many miles are on it and will you have an extended warranty?

How many miles are on it and will you have an extended warranty?
114k miles on it, and I have complete service records (thanks Ford and Carmax). Seems as if it' been well maintained through its life to date, with no recorded problems. It also appears as if it spent most of its time as an "Executive Lease" vehicle. I have it on a 24-hour take-home test drive, and visual inspection of the "greasy side" (anybody else old enough to remember the CB days and "Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down" signify?) shows nothing to be concerned about. Good enough that I'm committing to the purchase, and with the 30-day, no-questions-asked Carmax return policy, I can have my usual mechanic give it a thorough once over.

114k miles on it, and I have complete service records (thanks Ford and Carmax). Seems as if it' been well maintained through its life to date, with no recorded problems. It also appears as if it spent most of its time as an "Executive Lease" vehicle. I have it on a 24-hour take-home test drive, and visual inspection of the "greasy side" (anybody else old enough to remember the CB days and "Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down" signify?) shows nothing to be concerned about. Good enough that I'm committing to the purchase, and with the 30-day, no-questions-asked Carmax return policy, I can have my usual mechanic give it a thorough once over.
The two main areas I think could be a problem is the water pump and an issue with the turbos. If you don't mind paying for replacing the turbos at some point, then go for it. Also, the PTU is another problem area because they hold a small amount of fluid and it is baked from exhaust, engine and transmission heat. The PTU fluid should be changed every 30k miles and Ford's recommended service interval is far, far longer than this. You might want to drain the fluid in it to see if it is a gummy mess. Disregard my comment if service records shown the PTU has had regular service.

I'd still get the extended warranty through CarMax. My Ford ESP at 92k just covered a new water pump, front lower control arms and four motor mounts.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave: I'm guessing the service records don't indicate that the water pump was changed. Anything about the PTU?Any paint bubbling along the front edge of the hood?

Peter

114k miles on it, and I have complete service records (thanks Ford and Carmax). Seems as if it' been well maintained through its life to date, with no recorded problems. It also appears as if it spent most of its time as an "Executive Lease" vehicle. I have it on a 24-hour take-home test drive, and visual inspection of the "greasy side" (anybody else old enough to remember the CB days and "Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down" signify?)
Remember it well!
Didn't know you can get a 24 hr. take home test drive, great idea.

Back