Looking to buy 2006 Mountaineer V8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to buy 2006 Mountaineer V8

Brewcity

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mercury Mountaineer
Hello everyone...I am hope you all can really help me out. I am looking to purchase a 2006 Mountaineer Premier with the V8.
It has 151,000 miles, but very well maintained via carfax. Oil and filter changed since 4,000 miles until now.
However...no mention of differentials or transfer case oil changes. Should I be concerned?
Also...how long do these engines and transmissions last before major problems?
Thanks SOOOO much for the help with this. I truly appreciate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One of the better powertrain combos from Ford. The v8 has its issues: sparkplugs, exhaust manifolds, etc, but overall it's a good engine.
My 06 has 234k miles on original transmission. I replaced the engine at 200 k but it turned out that the engine was still good, and I had a bad torque converter.
At 151k miles, it's still has plenty of life left. But don't pay more than 6k I would say. I see an 06 Eddie Bauer for 5k near me.

One of the better powertrain combos from Ford. The v8 has its issues: sparkplugs, exhaust manifolds, etc, but overall it's a good engine.
My 06 has 234k miles on original transmission. I replaced the engine at 200 k but it turned out that the engine was still good, and I had a bad torque converter.
At 151k miles, it's still has plenty of life left. But don't pay more than 6k I would say. I see an 06 Eddie Bauer for 5k near me.

This is GREAT news!!! Thank you for sharing...it is a HUGE help! I am purchasing for $3600, and called the dealership where it was serviced. They said Ford doesnt schedule service to the tranny, transfer case, or differentials until 150,000....maybe that is why he is selling it. Its going to be about $600.00 maintenance, but with this info, will be glad to do it, and purchase the truck. Thanks again! :chug:

$ 3,600 is a good price. I have changed the tranny fluid, differentals, and transfer case every 60k miles, maybe that;s why it's still holding up. And I tow a lot and plow snow in the winter.

$ 3,600 is a good price. I have changed the tranny fluid, differentals, and transfer case every 60k miles, maybe that;s why it's still holding up. And I tow a lot and plow snow in the winter.

That's what I did in my Jeeps as well...that's why I was a tad concerned about the 150,000 without changing.
but I'll do it, and hopefully it goes another 150,000!

I ended up purchasing the truck. Thanks for the help Explorer_PL...I appreciate it.

Good luck with it. I love mine. If you don't mind turning wrenches yourself, you can keep them running forever. Parts are cheap everywhere.

Good luck with it. I love mine. If you don't mind turning wrenches yourself, you can keep them running forever. Parts are cheap everywhere.

Great to know. I'll definitely be turning my own wrench, so I'll be back soon! :chug:

Back