• Register Today It's free!

Looking to buy-need advice

4LB2

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 Bronco II
I'm looking to buy a second gen explorer and need some advice.
Will be used as my dd and to pull a small pop up tent trailer every now and then.
Must be 4x4 and would prefer 4 door. I need opinions of which motor to go with though.
I think I'd prefer the sohc for power and fuel economy over the v8 but having a hard time finding one in the combo i'm looking at. I have seen some in that combo with the v8 but i'm worried about gas. I can find the ohv all day long but im worried it will be underpowered.

So anyways here's my questions:
What kind of fuel economy can I expect from the 3 motors?
What transmissions were used behind the 3? And which is the least troublesome?
Which motor is more reliable?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My father had a 1998 V8 Eddie Bauer edition explorer, 4 door, 2 wheel drive. I remember on the highway we'd actually hit about 23-24 miles a gallon, for being a bigger SUV and a V8 I never though it was to bad. And just for reference, we hauled a 24 foot long pontoon boat with it being 2wd, never had a problem...

wish i had it still.

It if has to be 4x4 then you have to get the 4.0 v6. The v8 only came in 2wd and AWD, but no true 4x4 option was available until 2002.

The V8 is the one to have for towing, 98-01's being almost identical. The V8 trans is far better than the V6 5-speeds for reliability. The AWD TC is great for all but serious off roading. The front drive shaft and TC is common to have issues, but not too bad to fix. Good luck,

iv got a 98 AWD with the 5.0 The AWD is nice in the winter roads but is a hog on gas. Im getting an average of 15 MPG but a few mods will bump that up. Ive heard the sohc with 4hi,4low and 2wd have better towing capability but if your only pulling a small trailer it wouldnt be too bad.

Yes just a small pop up so nothing too serious. I was wondering if all the v8's were AWD or not. Guess that rules that out.
Also I forgot to mention i'd be looking at auto's. My wife needs to be able to drive it from time to time and she refuses to drive a manual:rolleyes:

The 2WD V8 models are rare in Northern climates, and they do get better fuel economy than the AWD versions.

I don't mean to take over the thread here, but I'm actually in the same boat, looking for similar year vehicles, the 302 seeming a pretty decent option as the "claimed" mileage on the 302 is 14/15 city & 18 highway, while the 4.0 is 15/16 city & 18 highway. I've found that the Explorers with V8's tend to be higher end, owned by individuals that seem to tend to them better than the run of the mill XLTs. Any difference in the '96/'97 AWD vehicles from the '98 - '01s? Any particular gotchas to look for on these things?

Again, hunt for a 98-01 model. There are enough things which were improved after 1997 that it is worth every penny more to buy the improved trucks. Many things are better in 98 trucks versus 95-97's, and no changes were made from 98-01. Nothing but minor trim levels, side air bag options, and rear air shocks that nobody wants. That makes the cheapest deal for a high option 98-01, the best choice. Pick you colors and engine/trans/TC preferences and compare prices.

Back