Looking to get a Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to get a Sport Trac

LifeisaBeach

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Edge Sport
Howdy all. I'm seriously looking into getting a late model Sport Trac and thought I'd make some inquiries here about opinions/experience with the various options available. Just for reference, I used to own a 2000 Explorer Sport (2-door SUV) with a 4.0L engine and minor upgrades (cat-back exhaust and K&N filter) that helped a little with the gas mileage and performance. Overall I was very pleased with that vehicle, though I traded it in a few years ago for a used PT Cruiser GT Convertible. I really love this car, but reality is setting in and it's getting harder on my back to get in and out of something that sits so low. I've long liked the look of the Sport Trac and always thought it'd be a worthwhile option for me. I have only occasional need for a truck and size-wise, it seems perfect for my liking. Today, I test drove a 2008 model with a 4.6L engine and Adrenalin package. I was very satisfied with the seating, especially for my size, and it handled to my liking, so I'm confident I'm on the right "trac" here. ;)

So, that all said, I'd like to see what experience anyone has had with these. My understanding from reading around is that the 4.0L engine is considered to be a bit underpowered for these vehicles. Additionally, the 4.6L engine is supposed to get better gas mileage, which seems to make that choice a no brainer. As far as the model I test drove, I "like" the look of the Adrenalin package, but it's not exactly a deal breaker for me. And although the vehicle drove well, I got the sense that the Adrenalin package is purely looks, not performance. Is that true across the latter years? I was planning to stick to a 2010, maybe a 2009. I'd rather get a latter year without the Adrenalin package for the same money if there's no performance advantage. Are there any performance upgrades I should seriously consider, like I did with my old Explorer?

As for the built in radio... if I'm not mistaken, it's ok to replace these if I want something with more modern features? I know this is a problem with the later Ford models, starting in 2011 or 2012. I'd like to consider replacing it with something that can mirror my phone's display for navigation, for example. Also, the salesman pointed out a row of "slots" below the AC controls that looked like would be handy for adding something like a USB charger. Not sure what else besides that though.

I'm debating on getting a 4x2 vs 4x4. I've seen these listed with AWD also. Not the same as 4x4? I don't really have a regular need for 4x4. I thought if anything, it may be helpful if we want to go to a beach that you can drive on (something I haven't done in many years). Any thoughts on if the 4x2 would handle that well enough? There's a public beach locally that people regularly drive on with all kinds of vehicles, but I was wondering if, given the weight of the Sport Trac, the 4x2 would struggle more.

Anywho, any thoughts and insight would be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently bought a 2008 ST Ltd w/V8, 4X2, and 33k miles. I also live on the beach (Mexico Beach, FL) although, won't ever be driving on the beach so didn't want a 4X4 and specifically looked for a 4X2. I highly recommend the V8model. I really like this truck..and, it fits in my standard size garage!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Here are a few pics:

Attachments

• 36327296733_365111557_IM1_MAIN_565x421_A_565x377.jpg
    36327296733_365111557_IM1_MAIN_565x421_A_565x377.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 349
  • 36327296740_365111557_IM1_06_565x421_A_565x377.jpg
    36327296740_365111557_IM1_06_565x421_A_565x377.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 340
  • 36327296739_365111557_IM1_05_565x421_A_565x377.jpg
    36327296739_365111557_IM1_05_565x421_A_565x377.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 335
  • image-31.jpg
    image-31.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 364

A few things to look forward to, http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385793.
If you do decide on the V8 you can add the exhaust manifold studs and maybe even the $800 spark plug change if its an early model.
Not trying to scare you off, but I wish someone would have gave me a heads up before I bought mine.. Although it has been problem free for close to a year now. My last fix was the lower ball joint just after the Paul Mccartney concert in Regina last summer/fall. Still have the upper arm sitting in the garage collecting dust.

$800 spark plug change???? I just read over the problems you were having and it sure sounds like the issues my wife has had with her Envoy. I think we are finally past the worst of that. But yeah, problems like those are the things that worry me about buying used, but new vehicles are just so expensive today that I'm just much more inclined to take a chance than I would have in the past.

[MENTION=254126]eds01lightning[/MENTION] That is one GREAT looking vehicle! I used to have a Ranger with a similar cranberry paint job and loved that color. Your interior is great too. I haven't seen that 2-tone look before. I found a couple models within a couple hundred miles of me with that exterior color, but the interior on both is the tan one that I just don't like. Uuugh.

Ford revised the heads on the 4.6 3V built after 11/30/07, and changed from the troublesome two piece plug design, to the more conventional one piece plugs. If in doubt, the newer 3V uses brown coil boots, black older. The later Gen 2 Adrenalin's seem to be somewhat scarce, and command premium prices when you find them. Check AutoTrader or Cars.com to see what's out there. GL

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=msg&VIEW=1248768&sitename=mysporttrac

http://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html

Ford revised the heads on the 4.6 3V built after 11/30/07, and changed from the troublesome two piece plug design, to the more conventional one piece plugs. If in doubt, the newer 3V uses brown coil boots, black older. The later Gen 2 Adrenalin's seem to be somewhat scarce, and command premium prices when you find them. Check AutoTrader or Cars.com to see what's out there. GL

Mmmmm.... so basically some 2008 models will have the troublesome design, but the 2009/2010 models definitely won't? I certainly appreciate that tip. And yeah, the 2010 models with the Adrenalin package are insanely priced. I've seen them listed for around $33k, vs $22k-$25k for comparable models without that package. It's a nice look, but I'm not paying that kind of a premium for it.

You got it. That's why it's usually best to avoid earlier models until they work the bugs out. 2001 ST is a good example, Ford made numerous upgrades on the 2004-05 Gen 1. Search the TSB link above by model year to get an idea. Agree, the V8 STA is a no brainer if you can find one that suits your needs. Lot's of info on line, found this 2010 brochure pdf searching "Ford Sport Trac". GL

https://assets.forddirect.fordvehic.../pdf_8801EF28-B1A9-F7E4-7830-678D7830678D.pdf

I have a 4.0L 2010 4x4. I bought it 3 months ago with 30000miles on it for $18k Canadian. XLT, no leather, no nav.

I've added a cap and racks, otherwise it's stock.

The 4.0L does what I need it to do, and I'm averaging 16mpg, after about 8000 miles I've put on it. Sometimes I find mid-range tourque an issue when I'm driving about 40mph and it's in 3-4th, but I have a hunch that a little shift programming would do wonders - if I ever care enough to bother.

In my mind, there are advantages and disadvantages to each engine, and I wouldn't rule out a 4.0L if otherwise it is a good truck.

I'm reading a bit about tuners, Ford IDS with VCM/VMM programming and diagnostics, and might buy something eventually, but haven't read enough yet - and it's not really a priority.

Happy Hunting !

I've heard of the spark plug trouble with these trucks so when I found the right one, I asked the dealer to change them as part of the sale, and he was happy to oblige. So regardless of the mileage or year ST you find, make a note to ask for the plugs to be changed out.

I'm content with my 07 Limited V8 4x4 but in hindsight I wish I had ponied up the extra cash and found an Adrenalin. In finally saw a white one recently and they are stunning on the road. I did test drive a V6 ST before trying out a V8, it was an easy decision to make for me.

I've heard of the spark plug trouble with these trucks so when I found the right one, I asked the dealer to change them as part of the sale, and he was happy to oblige. So regardless of the mileage or year ST you find, make a note to ask for the plugs to be changed out.

That's not a bad idea. I guess if it comes down to a 2008 with low miles vs a 2010 with higher miles for the same money, the spark plug issue on its own shouldn't hold me back, especially if they'll swap out the plugs for new ones. *sigh* If only more of these were on the market so I could have my pick...

If only more of these were on the market so I could have my pick...

Good, clean, low mileage ST's are hard to find..especially with the V8.
I searched for mine for over 6 months.. had to broaden my search distance and finally found one in Mertle Beach, SC. I paid a premium price due to the exceptional condition and low mileage. Also, paid an additional 500.00 to have it transported to me (630 miles). No regrets, as I plan to keep it for a very long time as I do all my vehicles. Good luck with your search.. I found mine on Truck Trader at a Ford dealer BTW.

Have you checked Carmax? I looked and there are some for sale on their website and you can have it shipped from around the US to the nearest dealership for a fee. I had mine shipped from Oklahoma to Georgia because it was the only 4x4 V8 I could find at the time, plus they have extended warranties you can purchase. I purchased the extended warranty from them for around $1900 and it has paid for over $7000+ in repairs (broken spark plugs, cracked radiator, both exhaust manifolds, new headliner from leaking 3rd brake light, wheel bearings...and I'm sure there are a few minor things I'm forgetting)

http://www.carmax.com/search?AZ=30076&ADc=90&ANa=4294966965+4294966538&Ep=+MultiChoice&parametric=1

Good, clean, low mileage ST's are hard to find..especially with the V8.
I searched for mine for over 6 months.. had to broaden my search distance and finally found one in Mertle Beach, SC. I paid a premium price due to the exceptional condition and low mileage. Also, paid an additional 500.00 to have it transported to me (630 miles). No regrets, as I plan to keep it for a very long time as I do all my vehicles. Good luck with your search.. I found mine on Truck Trader at a Ford dealer BTW.

That they are. I did spot one for sale down in Florida with only 12k on it, and it had the copper metallic clearcoat that is one of my top choices, but the interior was that tan color that I really don't care for. I'm planning on taking my time on this. I'm keeping an eye on AutoTrader, Cars.com, and CarMax and just waiting until one with the right options and colors to my liking pops up. Once I'm in one, I plan on this being the last vehicle I buy for a very long time. I really like having no car payments. :D

That they are. I did spot one for sale down in Florida with only 12k on it, and it had the copper metallic clearcoat that is one of my top choices, but the interior was that tan color that I really don't care for. I'm planning on taking my time on this. I'm keeping an eye on AutoTrader, Cars.com, and CarMax and just waiting until one with the right options and colors to my liking pops up. Once I'm in one, I plan on this being the last vehicle I buy for a very long time. I really like having no car payments. :D

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My last truck was my "last vehicle for a long time", that is until I got rear-ended....

I use cargurus.com almost exclusively. Nothing wrong with the others you listed, but I liked that cargurus lists the number of days the dealer has had it in stock, which can be leverage with pricing. Nationwide it shows nearly 800 07-10's out there. (Carmax has 21, AutoNation 12, Sonic 3 and Penske only 2)

Its a good tool that relies heavily on what the selling dealer lists, so there are errors - I'd just sort by 'closest to your ZIP'. For example, don't filter out the V6's if you want a V8 as there are many mis-listed. (V8 emblem on the fender is a good indication) Even colors are sometimes listed wrong. I drove 1200+ miles roundtrip to get mine. I live in Oklahoma, it lived in Illinois, tan leather interior and all, LOL...

I bought my 07 Sport Trac Limited V8 4x4 back in June with 79,046 miles on it. Drove it for a week, then the bucking and jerking in overdrive happened. Thankfully they gave me a 30day/1,000mile warranty, but of course Ford would only replace one spark plug at a time until I threatened them and they replaced all the plugs and coils for free. Other than that, it's been a great truck so far for the 5,000 miles I've put on it since then. I would definitely make sure you get some sort of warranty if you're looking into 07 or 08 just to be safe.

Back