Looking to purchase my first Ford. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to purchase my first Ford.

contagiouz

Reaction score
City, State
Pflugerville
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer Platinum
Hello All.

I am looking to purchase my first ford ever. I am looking to buy a ford explorer.

I want the platinum or limited with 301 package and Adaptive cruise control.

So my question is which one should i choose?

Option 1: HAIL damage platinum for 37K or 41K , MSRP is 54K+.

Option 2: REGULAR platinum for $43,392 or $45792 with an MSRP: $54,610.

So what should i do. The damage is on the hood, rood, passenger fender and c pillars running down above the tire on the Hail one. But very small ones.

so what do you guys think. Should i save the 5K and get the one with the hail damage?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no they wont let me. I was planing on doing the repair slowly by getting the parts from the junkyard. im pretty sure the repair is around 11K, since that is how much they are taking off.

I'd take the hail damaged one, because I'ma cheap ass. I bought my Chevy brand new, hit something on the way home and scratched the side/wheel. Didn't take long before my at the time gf dropped a kayak on it. Someone hit it in a parking lot denting the door. And well its got torn up quick.
Bought my dirt bike brand new, crashed it that day. Huge gouge in the swing arm.
Moral of my story, the nice stuff never stays nice long.

Im with you on that. My brand new passat got its first ding when my cousin instead of handing the keys to me like a normal human being, decided to throw them to me while i was sitting in the car only to hit the door and ding it.

However only difference is that the insurance company will fix all that under comprehensive coverage.

Is it true that the value of the car will depreciate insanely when i try to sell?

Am i being realistic when im thinking that i can get the hood, roof, side quarter panels? from the junkyard after a year or 2 for dirt cheap?

If you plan to sell the vehicle in the future, I recommend to not purchase the one with hail damange.
Vehicles already depreciate greatly and one with that extensive repairs will only diminsh it's value further.

If you plan to sell the vehicle in the future, I recommend to not purchase the one with hail damange.
Vehicles already depreciate greatly and one with that extensive repairs will only diminsh it's value further.

I agree with this completely. Younger brother bought a salvage title car thinking he was getting a great deal, now he can't sell it. Carmax offered him $200.

That hail damage will stay attached to the car for life. When you go to sell it a dealer won't touch it no matter how good the repairs are. If you get the one with hail damage plan on selling it yourself and getting back a smaller percentage of your investment.

Seems like a good idea now but you will be kicking yourself if you ever need to get rid of it.

Would the hail damaged one come with a "damaged" title or report to carfax? That will always follow you around ... plus wonder how your (or my) insurance "accepts" or covers hail damaged units if you have a claim...?

I say go for the brand new non damaged Platinum. If your going to fork out that kinda of money on a new car, have it be perfect. That's just me. I wouldn't want my new platinum with parts from the junk yard.

Im with you on that. My brand new passat got its first ding when my cousin instead of handing the keys to me like a normal human being, decided to throw them to me while i was sitting in the car only to hit the door and ding it.

However only difference is that the insurance company will fix all that under comprehensive coverage.

Is it true that the value of the car will depreciate insanely when i try to sell?

Am i being realistic when im thinking that i can get the hood, roof, side quarter panels? from the junkyard after a year or 2 for dirt cheap?

Yeah don't plan on getting the parts at a junkyard. With as new and valuable as the newer explorers are, they'd really have to be torn up to end up in the junkyard. At my local yard there's only 1 car newer than say 2010. A Taurus, that I wouldn't even want to look inside of. The passenger compartment isn't too damaged, but the front and rear bumpers are practically touching the doors.

If you get the hail damaged one, plan on it staying hail damaged. I'd ask for an even bigger discount, but it ain't getting fixed.

The pillars in the rear are a PITA to replace because you have to take off the rear windows to get the part out by design. Just get the none hail damage.

no they wont let me. I was planing on doing the repair slowly by getting the parts from the junkyard. im pretty sure the repair is around 11K, since that is how much they are taking off.

They? the dealers, sold me my XP Sport for 5.4K under MSRP. If I would sell my XP 16 Sport I would loose almost 10K from MSRP in a year or less. Explorer's value drops pretty quickly if you search for used XP.

Thanks guys for the replies. The suggestions are appreciated. I may just wait then for a bigger sale or i might get the new plat. again thanks and i will keep you guys updated.

Hello All.

I am looking to purchase my first ford ever. I am looking to buy a ford explorer.

I want the platinum or limited with 301 package and Adaptive cruise control.

So my question is which one should i choose?

Option 1: HAIL damage platinum for 37K or 41K , MSRP is 54K+.

Option 2: REGULAR platinum for $43,392 or $45792 with an MSRP: $54,610.

So what should i do. The damage is on the hood, rood, passenger fender and c pillars running down above the tire on the Hail one. But very small ones.

so what do you guys think. Should i save the 5K and get the one with the hail damage?

Unless you like throwing money away you've answered your own question.

Both have an MSRP of $54K, hail damage is $11K, that's puts the car at $43K so you're saving another $6K with the $43,392 car.

Unless I'm missing something.

You are really confusing me on the pricing... are these new or used?

Im shopping for a 2016 Plat Explorer with my wife (Tricoat and buckets so MSRP ~55ish) and being told "rock bottom prices" are around 51K...

I actually came to the forum to see if I could get a general feel for how much under MSRP the plats should go for. So im really interested in the prices you are mentioning.

re: hail... dont spend that much money for something you may regret (IMHO). get the undamaged model

Why would you buy a new vehicle, even if hail damaged, and then go for junkyard parts? Bite the bullet and buy a new, undamaged vehicle, or even a used, low mileage Explorer with plenty of factory warranty left.

Although it seems you have decided already, I also agree that you should buy the undamaged Platinum. Something seems odd to me that the dealership, that I must assume has insurance, hasn't had the hail damage repaired. Even though they would still have to sell the car at a discount, I must believe the discount would be less than selling it with hail dents all over it.

Although it seems you have decided already, I also agree that you should buy the undamaged Platinum. Something seems odd to me that the dealership, that I must assume has insurance, hasn't had the hail damage repaired. Even though they would still have to sell the car at a discount, I must believe the discount would be less than selling it with hail dents all over it.
A dealer in my area had a 'Hail Damage Sale' a number of years ago as well.

Peter

Back