Looking to swap a 4.0 5 speed 4x4 setup into my 66 Scout. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to swap a 4.0 5 speed 4x4 setup into my 66 Scout.

RPM289

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Olive, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 4wd Explorer 4.0
I just purchased a 66 Scout with a manual tranny and a 4 cyl. I am looking at swap options and thinking a pushrod 4.0 4x4 5 speed out of Ranger or Explorer sport may be a good choice. Ideas opinions welcome! best donor vehicle to look for? I did a 351w carb swap into an 88 Ranger so fab work I can do not so good at EFI etc. mess LOL.

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think as far as standalone PCM's, a OBD II would be much easier to program and tune, so you would want a 95 and newer donor. Lucky for you we got a guy here who knows a lot more than me, @410Fortune.

:popcorn:

I think as far as standalone PCM's, a OBD II would be much easier to program and tune, so you would want a 95 and newer donor. Lucky for you we got a guy here who knows a lot more than me, @410Fortune.
agree about wanting a 2nd gen. 95tm heads better 👍

the 95 Xs were obd1.5 so to speak, so id go 96+

i believe heads were also reworked for '98, but cant confirm that.

can say that in 97 it went to 8 bolt flywheel so the later sohc ranger clutch & plate can work with it. better feel and more HD.

so id narrow it to 97+ if not 98+ (if heads were reworked, which i dont remember for sure)

not sure about ranger gens and designs, however.

the sports and 4 doors had the same ohv and trans iirc, so id go 2d or 4d whichever falls in your lap first :D

Agreed! I rarely mess with the pre 95 ohv engines anymore we almost always use 96-00 ohvs in their place, same is true for the 5 speed the later 5 speeds from behind the sohc engines are tougher

4.0 5 speed would be a good swap in thay scout for sure! So would a 302 or a diesel ;)

+1 on the diesel

If your gonna go through the trouble...stroke a 302 & use an F150 5 speed

Back