Loose neg. battery terminal connector | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loose neg. battery terminal connector

Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
Car was dead, no click when leaving work. Having just worked on the car, I got out to check the battery cables. I was able to move the negative cable on the post.

However, having moved it I was able to break the thin layer of corrosion and drive the car home. Tried tightening the bolt and it's a no go. Fully tightened.

As these cables are not available and I need to go to work tomorrow without fear of being on the side of the road, what can I use as a shim on the post/cable end.

Anyone else try this? I don't recall having any lead around the house.

It worked when it was new. Most of them die from over tightening. I just bend 'em back, somewhat like they're supposed to be, and put 'em back on.

The metal end ones?

Was going to try the screw trick as they do with the lead terminal style. Not enough room.

Looking at it, I noticed the portion of the clamp on the cable side was lower than the side facing the fender. I loosened the end and pressed it down even. Went on snug. It was ****eyed by 1/16 and that was enough.

What I'd done, was pushed it down by using the cable, this tilted it just enough to appear tight, but stil able to move side to side. Battery terminal may be a size smaller do to its cleanings upon being removed for car repairs.

Still interested in what metals may be compatible as shims? Anyone know the suitable metals to use? Stuff that may be handy in ones garage. Without cutting the cable or going to a parts store.

If you cut the ring off and drill out the bolt threads you can bolt the end of the cable right on to a new end lead. Had to do this a few times.

Back