Lost 99 Explorer keys/PATS but have a rolled 2002 Explorer w/keys and PATS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lost 99 Explorer keys/PATS but have a rolled 2002 Explorer w/keys and PATS

Reaction score
City, State
wenatchee
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Good morning and happy weekend! I lost the keys to my 99 Ford Explorer with PATS. I do not want to buy new chip keys and that $400 expense. I have a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport that is rolled but has keys and I am looking what I might be able to remove from my rolled Explorer and swap into my 99 Explorer so I can drive it?
Thank you if you are able to point me in the right direction!

Key blanks with chips are only $15 or so for a couple on ebay/etc, but it depends on how much trouble you want now versus later. You want the normal keys, not the type that "clone" the original keys (and have a battery for memory?).

You could get key blanks and have a locksmith cut them to fit the existing cylinders on ignition, doors and hatch since they are all the same, or you can swap just the ignition cylinder from the '02 sport to get its keys to work mechanically but then you don't have working keys for any of the doors or hatch... unless you swap ALL the lock cylinders which seems like a lot of effort, or never lock your doors or hatch which seems like a lockout accident waiting to happen as well as a theft/security risk. I'd rather just take the ignition cylinder and two blank keys to a locksmith and have them cut to match.

Once your keys are mechanically matching, you can use Forscan app (extended license version so it can program keys, is a free trial on Forscan website) and a windows host (laptop, phone or tablet) linked to an ELM327 OBD2 dongle. If you don't want to DIY, a competent automotive locksmith or Ford shop can program the keys for you. Do get two keys, because once you have two programmed, this allows using them to put it into programming mode without software or an OBD2 dongle, just using the method in the owner's manual. I mean at a later date if you wanted to add a 3rd key or something, it's not an issue to get from where you are now to getting it driveable again.

If you don't yet have an OBD2 dongle, I recommend the BAFX on Amazon, but it's bluetooth so your windows host device needs to have bluetooth. There are also USB dongles but I don't have a recommendation and would sooner get a USB bluetooth dongle for a windows laptop to link them, and have the bluetooth OBD2 version so it's also capable of being used on my android phone when I don't need to program things. Beware of some other cheaper OBD2 dongles don't support the J1850 protocol that our 2nd gens use, despite claims to the contrary. The BAFX is known to work and is built better than many of the cheaper alternatives.

Back