• Register Today It's free!

Lost forward gear 94´xlt

fordsutii

Reaction score
City, State
Finland
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 94´
So now it happen, no forward gear! Reverse works fine! Trans oil ok!
Oil doesnt smells burned..

Any ideas why not engage forward gear? Gonna take the pan and valvebody
off, hope i see some broken there. then i dont have to guess whats wrong..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I drop the pan of, nothing unusual there. The magnet, which is bottom of the pan is clean!
It has been slow engage for a while to forward gear, needs a little rev up for faster engagement. warmer trans oil, slower engagement. cold oil works faster. I think it maybe some valve to make this issue?!
The band is ok, i test to tighten both bands and its good.

Edit; when im taking the valvebody off, i noticed that i almost didnt need a tool at all to get bolts off.
If the valvebodys bolts arent tight enough, could it be the reason why not it didnt engage drive?

The seal between valvebody and metal plate wasnt good, it was like thin plastic, nothing elastic at all..here is photos ive been taking. Anything weird http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...662201303473&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13622383494512

Might as well try that first since it can be done without removing the trans. I just consulted my A4LD Reference manual and the forward clutch is applied in 1, 2, D, and OD, but not reverse. If valvebody freshening doesn't help, you may be in for a rebuild. I had no reverse when hot, and no overdrive and tried a reman valvebody with all the updates installed. It didn't help. I rebuilt the trans and found a broken OD planetary and that the previous rebuilder had sliced the sealing rings on the center support.

I know that if it doesnt gonna work with valvebody fixing i had to drop the trans down... when car was working the OD and everything was fine.

I m wondering that my trans broke down when tha car was in park,
shutdown. i also starting to think that maby the manual valve wasnt set
correctly. i called ex owner of my car and he said that the slow engage
started last summer when the car was in repaired at the garage and they had
to stretch something cable near to transmission (he didnt know what)...

does aerostar 4.0 4wd xlt trans fit in explorer?

Replace the valve body gaskets, rebuild the valve body, and torque the valve body bolts with an In/Lb 1/4" drive torque wrench.

I will do that, just have to wait my parts... i hope that my parts arriwed at this week....

Express Mail International®

Processed Through Sort Facility

March 07, 2013, 9:58 pm

ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS)

Proof of Delivery

Arrived at Sort Facility

March 07, 2013, 9:57 pm

ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS)

Depart USPS Sort Facility

March 06, 2013

LONG BEACH, CA 90809

Processed through USPS Sort Facility

March 06, 2013, 7:21 pm

LONG BEACH, CA 90809

Acceptance

March 06, 2013, 7:00 pm

LONG BEACH, CA 90809

Electronic Shipping Info Received

March 05, 2013

A 4.0L Aerostar trans (up to 1994) should work, but the transfer case is different.

this waiting is not fun, tomorrow im gonna make some call where my parts is going!
I think that my parts are in finland, but where here?!

Edit; now the parts are in finland, on monday they are my zip postal code area!

now i get all done but still no forward gear. gear will engage if i get full rev
and not put in neutral or park. when i get engagement in forward it will works perfectly! manual switching also works. and reverse works too.

i take the line off the oil cooler and put the car run and oil will come with a huge pressure. can the servos side of the transmission do anything like this?

Check the adjustment of the shift cable. Sometimes the Z link or the manual slide valve could have damage.

I check them already.. today im gonna start taking the trans off and take it to
someone smarter than me! :D

Well this morning i deside to take trans off. anyway i start the car and try to put it on forward gear, nothing happens. then i pull the vacuum modulator hose
off and try to put in gear, and it shifts into gear!

I take a drive and manually shifts ok but of course no second gear when driving d. then i put the hose back to modulator and no engagement.
take the hose off and no engagement. doesnt make sense that modulator had something to do with engagement?! I change the modulator and check the servos if theres anything wrong.

Was the modulator leaking when you pulled the hose off?

No leaking. I think that the cold oil helped the engage. when it warm up nothing
happens on forward gears. i started to droppin trans off, i hope its on my work shop table tomorrow. i take the coolant line off the cooler to pump
trans oil away from the transmission and it was weak pressure. gear was in park when doing it.

I did hear knock sound when the trans was in gear and car idling. i try to find where is it coming and sounds like it comes near the torque converter.

BTW; Drive shaft bolts are pretty stuck! :D

Hello again! Trans mechanic open up my trans and it was very bad shape. only rear drive band was "normal" .. and drums was ok! planets and everything cannot use if rebuild. now i find mazda b 2600 4wd, it should be m50d trans??

gonna ask how much it cost, if its decent price im gonna put it in...

Hello again!

Ford is moving again after trans rebuild. Amazing how different the car is with
rebuilded trans! :)

Only the park doesnt work.. it try to lock wheels but not fully. makes rattling
noise if i push the car with park engaged...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back