• Register Today It's free!

Lost power steering ! Help

98 MERC

Reaction score
City, State
Holland Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer 5.0
I just got off the highway and vehicle was fine.I got into town and had to do a very sharp u turn at low speed like walking speed.After the U turn my power steering kept coming on and off.Then a few mins later i lost it all and it drives like a manual steering vehicle.I mean both hands to turn this beast.

Yes its full of fluid.I checked
Yes i can see the fluid circulating when i pull the cap off when running.
Yes the the belt is in excellent condition.
No i don't have any power steering leaks.
Yes the steering system makes full turns both ways.
No the pulley isn't loose
No the belt isn't loose.
No power steering wine EVER.

Is the pump bad or steering rack ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the operation of the built in check valve on the power steering pump.

Thanks but i have no idea how to do that or how to find that ?

So today i took a hammer and a rod and tapped the power steering pump and it seemed to bring the power back for a moment and then it went dead again.I could hear the pump lightly work during that time and go dead again.It circulates the fluid and its quiet just no power steering.

Remove the fluid in the system, disconnect the high pressure side hose from the pump, then unscrew the fitting with the check valve. Check the internal spring.

What would be wrong with the spring ? Broken ? What line is the high pressure line ? It has 2 lines coming from it.I assume the high pressure line is the metal one on top with a rubber hose crimped onto it ?

Can i even buy a spring or checkvalve ? I doubt they would just sell me those tiny parts.

Do i really have to drain the whole system ? I mean i am just unscrewing a line from the top of the pump.At most i could see draining the reservoir but the whole system ? That seems very excessive.

Where would i find a replacement spring ?

What happens if you turn the steering wheel all the way left, then right, then left again? Any difference?

If you lost hydraulic pressure, you have to get all the fluid out of the way to take things apart, in order to find out which seal is blown. Otherwise a new pump. WHich also requires a drain, fill and flush. either way, yeah I know, it sucks.

You can't make the room get bright by repeatedly flipping the switch. Someone has to climb the ladder and change the bulb.

I doubt it is the steering rack, but it could be. You will need to find out if the pump makes pressure. If it does, then look at the rack. seals inside the rack could be leaking pressure.

Rockauto sells steering rebuild kits and steering rack kits.

It might be worth trying them out if you can handle it.

After i lost pressure i drove it 30 miles home with manual steering.It never came back at all during the trip like i thought it would.Its so weird that it was working great till a sharp u turn and then it just lost pressure.I mean it came on and off a couple times before fully going dead.I had to use both hands on the wheel to move that sucker.

I might just drop it off to my mechanic and have him troubleshoot it.Almost sounds like it got overloaded with to much pressure during that u turn and blew something.It also got really knotchy a couple times and locked my steering wheel.That was scary,had to wiggle the wheel to get it to unlock.It was like some kinda pressure lock.

ok, try what I suggested. go all the way one direction, all the way the other than all the way back the other direction. This is a classic symptom of air in the system, which could have happened on the sharp turn if the fluid sloshed to one side.

So, with the engine running, sitting still, go all the way, back and forth, lock to lock a few times. this is the procedure for "bleeding" the power steering.

Does the cap have to be off to let air out ? I will try tomorrow.

no, it will vent , any air will just come to the surface. doesn;t take much to cause a lot of shuddering and fighting back from the steering wheel

Ok i will try that tomorrow and post back.I do think the pump is dead tho.I think when i had the steering at full lock for the u turn that i blew a seal inside the pump from overload.In the end i think its going to a shop:banghead: Its all i need right now.I need surgery soon and between doctor appts and this truck i am at my witts end.I sometimes wonder if the truck is cursed.The original owner is dead and i bought it from his daughter.I bet the dam thing drove him to the grave LOL

Sorry to hear that. I wish you a speedy recovery.

You could go get a new car, and with high taxes, insurance and car payment spend 600 per month.

250 per month or so for a while, with some work will keep you in a solid ride for quite a while. Sure things need fixed but you don't junk a house because it needs new wiring. Or plumbing. These parts lasted 20 years, and a lot of miles. they are expensive for a reason because they will last again.

I saw a documentary about folks who love and still drive old volkswagen buses. One guy was saying he was amazed how so many people quit on them.
"because they broke"
Broke what? I don;t see the problem. You fix it.

Same show showed a gal replacing cylinders with her daughter. Greasy up to their eyelids but having fun.

Your truck is 20 years old. Treat it like a girlfriend and it will reward you with good times.

The original owner of my house is dead. So is the second. And the 3rd. The house didn't kill them and I sleep in it just fine in it.

I just hope it isin't cursed.I have had bad luck since i got it.I now keep a bible in the truck at all times LOL

I tried the full side to side steering 2 times and nothing happend. Inside the truck i can hear some power steering noises coming from the steering wheel ever so slightly when the wheel is forced to turn.I got an appt with the ford dealer next week Wednesday i am gonna let them deal with this nonsense.They are 99$ an hour and my personal mechanic is 85$ an hour.He only offers a 1 year warranty and ford offers a 2 year warranty.Plus the dealer over here is AWESOME ! I know hard to believe right ? They can get me a reman ford rack or reman ford pump, whatever part is needed.

You could get a pump for $75 with a good warranty, and replace it yourself in less than an hour with loaner tools from Autozone.

Right but that's IF and i mean IF the pump is the problem.I am not willing to tear apart the system and get fluid everywhere and put a pump in it just to find out the rack has a blown internal seal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you'll pay 99 bux though for them just to tell you it's bad.

That would be 1 hour diagnosis. plus the labor and part charge.

If that doesn't fix it , then you take it to the dealer and have them replace the rack.Simple

Or you could replece the rack yourself, plus the suspension parts the dealer is going to tell you that you need to replace. They may want to take the control arms off, and tell you to put new ones on because the ball joints are bad, if it goes as deep as the rack itself. Just a heads up.

You are looking at a lot of money to fix one problem at the dealer, and leave one old part in.

Back