• Register Today It's free!

Power steering problem.

robertoa1a

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 5.0 xlt 2wd white/char
The truck shakes when I turn the steering wheel. No wineing though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The truck shakes when I turn the steering wheel. No wineing though.

Did you turn the wheel with the car not running? any leaks? Air in the system?

No. There is Evadence of minor leakage but no wet drips. I bought it in Dec '08 w/130k miles. I just replaced the PCV. Before that I pulled the power brake booster hose and let it take in a can of sea foam. I took her out on the high way, I-10, for a long 90mph experience. Its a beutifull day for that in florida. The problem seems to have subsided, somewhat.

In retrospect; I think that the Idle couldn't handle the "vacume problem" with the load on the power steering pump. I'm not sure It's cured yet. I'm waiting for a cold start and It's 75 degrees. It won't stay like this though.

No. There is Evadence of minor leakage but no wet drips. I bought it in Dec '08 w/130k miles. I just replaced the PCV. Before that I pulled the power brake booster hose and let it take in a can of sea foam. I took her out on the high way, I-10, for a long 90mph experience. Its a beutifull day for that in florida. The problem seems to have subsided, somewhat.

In retrospect; I think that the Idle couldn't handle the "vacume problem" with the load on the power steering pump. I'm not sure It's cured yet. I'm waiting for a cold start and It's 75 degrees. It won't stay like this though.

where is it leaking from? I had fittings rust out on the rack.

I Have driven the truck a few thousands of miles and haven't noticed any new leaking from anywhere. I see old evidence of leaking from bumper to bumper but when I got it, I power washed it and havent noticed any recent leaks yet.

When it comes to mechanical stuff I have a bit of OCD, which many of us wrench folk do.

I like to work out minor issues b4 they become major 1s! Only it's harder to see when they are minor.

I have an incling that my vac lines are a bit rotten on the whole engine, but no one big leak. Hmmmm. Usually with power steering I would expect fluid loss.

Actually I was hopping you would show up 96eb'. because If I have a problem it's usually un-related to old school thinking. You can be Quintisentual that way. If we don't get a florida piss down rain tomorrow I will go farther into looking like a mad man doing circles in parking lots and stuff to provide better info.

No whining or noise tells me no air in the system. Easy enough to tell...is the oil foamy?

Chattering (which I believe you are describing) is common when you replace a rack or pump until you get everything bled. Since you have no noise and no leak to speak of, that points me in one of two directions. A pump going south, or internal seal failure in the rack. You may need to rig up a pressure gauge to know for sure.

I think turning is causing my engine to shake. I'm waiting 'til I get a second person so I can look under the hood while someone turns the wheel.

Cured! It was a vacume hose from the intake to the evac. Wow.

Back