Loud Rattling Noise Upon Cold Engine Start | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud Rattling Noise Upon Cold Engine Start

That certainly leaves the question why not more members are experiencing this and why Ford would even approve a buy back on something that is 'normal'. It also appears that this issue only pops up on the ST and not on the other models. So far, I haven't seen any reports about this issue on Aviators.

I know for sure that I won't accept a $60K vehicle that wakes up the entire neighborhood and sounds like a 50 year old diesel.

Hmm seems like IT IS all models!

Lol 50 year old diesel

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as I know, my Aviator has the same engine and is perfectly quiet on start-up.

Peter

As far as I know, my Aviator has the same engine and is perfectly quiet on start-up.

Peter
It's not the same motor u got a v6 explorer a 4 cylinder I would be impressed if they were able to produce all that power quietly seriously the cams ?and springs are so stiff that if u turn the cam with a wrench it's super hard and loud

It's not the same motor u got a v6 explorer a 4 cylinder I would be impressed if they were able to produce all that power quietly seriously the cams ?and springs are so stiff that if u turn the cam with a wrench it's super hard and loud
The OP and others here have the ST which has the same motor as the Lincoln. Aviator.

Peter

Some 2020 Explorer/Aviator vehicles may exhibit a rattle type noise originating from the exhaust flexible pipe. This may be due to the natural harmonic frequency of the pipe. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to install a worm gear clamp over the exhaust flexible pipe.

Guessing that's ur issue.

Some 2020 Explorer/Aviator vehicles may exhibit a rattle type noise originating from the exhaust flexible pipe. This may be due to the natural harmonic frequency of the pipe. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to install a worm gear clamp over the exhaust flexible pipe.

Guessing that's ur issue.

For this exhaust rattle issue, the TSB is dated 29 June 2020 so does that mean that it is applicable only to vehicles manufactured before that date?

It IS normal

I don't think they would take the vehicle apart if they think it's normal. I showed that video to the guys at the service department and as soon as they heard it, they confirmed something was wrong.

Now, if it would indeed be normal after 5k miles, how many cases/complaints about this issue would we have seen by now? Are you suggesting that owners would not be reporting this if their vehicle which was totally fine at startup when they bought it all of a sudden made this noise? It is so loud, no way you could miss that. If this would be affecting every Explorer (or even just the STs and all Aviators), the internet would be full of reports about it.

And look what the user WILMAC posted at the beginning of this thread. Would Ford do a buy back if this is normal? I doubt it...

Lol u guys and gals seem upset I hope it blows when u crank it....

I don't think they would take the vehicle apart if they think it's normal. I showed that video to the guys at the service department and as soon as they heard it, they confirmed something was wrong.

Now, if it would indeed be normal after 5k miles, how many cases/complaints about this issue would we have seen by now? Are you suggesting that owners would not be reporting this if their vehicle which was totally fine at startup when they bought it all of a sudden made this noise? It is so loud, no way you could miss that. If this would be affecting every Explorer (or even just the STs and all Aviators), the internet would be full of reports about it.

And look what the user WILMAC posted at the beginning of this thread. Would Ford do a buy back if this is normal? I doubt it...

Yeah, I agree, if this just suddenly develops and it is an abnormal rattle, it should Not be normal. I can understand and one second tappet kind of noise just upon starting but a long time rattle at startup on a gasoline engine that too suddenly developing after few thousand miles should Not be normal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back