Loud Rattling Noise Upon Cold Engine Start | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud Rattling Noise Upon Cold Engine Start

Just to give you a short update:

Vehicle is now in the shop for 2 weeks and still waiting for the missing part. Told the service technician on Monday that we no longer want it and called Ford the same day and opened a case for a buy back.

I'm currently in touch with my Lincoln-dealer, looking at an Aviator.

The Lincoln-dealer is owned by the same 'family' as the Ford dealership which might help in the buy back process.

I really liked the ST but after it has been taken apart that many times and still without a firm date when this will be fixed, it's simply time to move on. For $800/month, it's just not worth it...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Vehicle is now in the shop for 2 weeks and still waiting for the missing part. Told the service technician on Monday that we no longer want it and called Ford the same day and opened a case for a buy back.

The Lincoln-dealer is owned by the same 'family' as the Ford dealership which might help in the buy back process.

I really liked the ST but after it has been taken apart that many times and still without a firm date when this will be fixed, it's simply time to move on. For $800/month, it's just not worth it...

Wow, 800 dollars is a lot of money each month. (especially for the vehicle that you cannot drive).

Wow, 800 dollars is a lot of money each month. (especially for the vehicle that you cannot drive).

Exactly. And it gets even 'better':

Stopped by the dealer today and spoke to the mechanic. The required part that was expected to come in this week is delayed.

As it stands now, it has an estimated release-date of 11/28 which is a Saturday which makes it impossible that the part is going to arrive that week. If this date is accurate though, the earliest expected completion date of this repair could be the middle of the following week. If it would be that Wednesday, December 2nd, the vehicle would have been in the shop for exactly 4 weeks (or in regards to the lemon law, 29 days). Considering the previous 3 service-visits, it's safe to say it will be a buy back now.

I will be in contact with Ford as well and once I get an update, I'll let you know. But frankly, I don't see how they can argue against a buy back.

If it does get 'fixed' by the 29th day, Ford may, and I say may, have an argument since it is 1 day short of the required 30 days. The previous attempts notwithstanding.

Peter

If it does get 'fixed' by the 29th day, Ford may, and I say may, have an argument since it is 1 day short of the required 30 days. The previous attempts notwithstanding.

Peter
Yeah, here in Florida, it's 30 cumulative days. If this repair attempt is not completed within 25 days or less, it's a lemon due to the previous days out of service. In other words, if it isn't fixed prior to the 28th, it's over. And since the part is now scheduled to be released no sooner than that, it's not looking good for them (after all, release does not mean at the dealer and certainly does not mean that the vehicle will be fixed).

Next Update:

Got a call from Ford today. The buyback was approved. Although they probably had no other choice considering the circumstances, I still have to give them credit for such a quick process. This is also a part of customer service.

Next Update:

Got a call from Ford today. The buyback was approved. Although they probably had no other choice considering the circumstances, I still have to give them credit for such a quick process. This is also a part of customer service.
So what are you looking at as a replacement?

Peter

So what are you looking at as a replacement?

Peter
Most likely a Lincoln Aviator. Although I'm fully aware that the engine is the same, I'll give it another shot. After all, it's not that every vehicle with this set-up is having this issue.

Before we got the ST, we had a number of Lincolns and were always happy.

Just got this vehicle with 26000 miles on it. When the weather is colder on cold start I get this rattle. Like something isn't getting oil. Any ideas?

Not good. Sounds like an engine issue. Another forum member had a similar problem, and it ended up getting bought back by Ford before they repaired it:

Get it into your dealership asap.

Most likely a Lincoln Aviator. Although I'm fully aware that the engine is the same, I'll give it another shot. After all, it's not that every vehicle with this set-up is having this issue.

Before we got the ST, we had a number of Lincolns and were always happy.
So how is the new Aviator?

Peter

Just got this vehicle with 26000 miles on it. When the weather is colder on cold start I get this rattle. Like something isn't getting oil. Also have wind noise by the upper drivers window and both rear seat windows where the 2 panes of glass meet at the top. Though it was supposed to be so much quieter with the new door seals? Any ideas?

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this one identified by the members above.

Peter

Idk but to me it sounds like DI noise. It's loud at cold start up but lessens as the engine idles down. But you will still hear that sound.

Idk but to me it sounds like DI noise. It's loud at cold start up but lessens as the engine idles down. But you will still hear that sound.

I'm now experiencing this at 13,000 miles, a loud rattling at cold start and the cabin smells like exhaust fumes which sounds like an exhaust system leak?

I'm now experiencing this at 13,000 miles, a loud rattling at cold start and the cabin smells like exhaust fumes which sounds like an exhaust system leak?

Well that sounds like the TSB with the loose exhaust clamps etc.

I was just commenting on the video posted in this thread. The one with 26k miles on it. To me that sounds like a cold start with DI noise. It's amplified because it's in a garage. But when the idle went down, that's how DI engines sound. It can be confused with lifter noise but not as exaggerated.

Not saying there's definitely no issue with the EX in that video, just saying that DI engines make that type of noise as well.

So how is the new Aviator?

Peter

So far, no issues at all.

When it comes to ride quality and performance, it's certainly something special. Although it's much heavier than the ST, you feel the additional power the GT has. The vehicle feels planted, like on rails. That's where the additional weight may actually be a plus. Also, the acceleration is excellent yet different compared to other vehicles I owned. It is super-smooth and you think the vehicle has no gears at all. On the ST, you are pushed forward under a hard acceleration but on the GT, it feels like being pulled. My second vehicle is a BMW X7 M50i which - although quicker - feels different as well. The GT is simply a special vehicle. The shifting is also much smoother than on the Ford which was probably the biggest issue I had.

Get your money back...and go off to buy something else - the BMW X5 with the 2.0 T is close in performance to the ST (big weight difference), give that a shot if you are looking for a sport’s SUV.

if you want American, give the Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 a try...

Sounds just like that other case for sure. What part were they waiting for? Did they ever figure it out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get your money back...and go off to buy something else - the BMW X5 with the 2.0 T is close in performance to the ST (big weight difference), give that a shot if you are looking for a sport’s SUV.

if you want American, give the Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 a try...
He already has an Aviator. It is shown in his profile. That is why I asked him how he likes it. He also reported on it in the post above yours. ;)

Peter

Back