• Register Today It's free!

Louder Exhaust

Chino Soria

Reaction score
City, State
Seven Springs, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac XLT
I have 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT and I've been wanting to make my truck louder. I want to do dual straight pipes but people keep telling me that my truck will sound like a weed eater or like an old Honda unless I get my cats removed, so could i get some advise on this it would really help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My advice? Save your money and don't do it. If you need the attention, buy a giant arrow sign with the words " Hey everybody, look at me!!", tow it behind you and watch the heads turn.

Chicks dig guys driving Sport Tracs that have the "silenced suds" sound...

I have owned a LOT of Fords, back in my younger days some very, very fast Mustangs and Cobra's and they were NEVER loud. Just my opinion..

Your friends are right except for the part about the cats. It will sound bad and will still sound bad with the cats removed. Removing cats is illegal, too, and they aren't really restrictive or have much effect on sound.

The best you can do for the 4.0L is keep it restricted to keep backpressure (aka power) and get a nice low rumble. Too open of pipes and too aggressive a muffler will result in an awfully raspy bee-in-your-ear sound and even worse (but less annoying to others) is the power you'll lose.

+1 on both the above statements.

If you want it louder but keep it running right with no power/ torque loss than get either a Spintech or Magnaflow muffler (these sound best) factory size and just swap out the muffler. You can also cut off the resonator behind the muffler but need to weld in a piece of pipe to replace it. I've gone through four or five different exhuast configurations and can speak from experience on what works/ sounds good with the 4.0L. Stay away from Flowmaster, they rust out within a couple years at most and give a horrible droan sound.

So what would be the best answer and way to get a nice sounding exhaust?

Swap out the stock muffler for a Magnaflow muffler and call it a day, stay away from flowmaster unless you want a horrible droan and replace it two years down the road due to rust out (even if you don't live in the rustbelt). Heartthrob makes a dual exhaust that doesn't sound bad and bolts right in without removing the spare.

What exact Magnaflow exhaust would work best?

I personally have the spintech prostreet 9000 and i love it, however it isnt that loud at higher RPM's which isnt a huge deal in my situation because i spend most of my time between 1500-3000 RPM's.

I have the same truck and need to replace manifolds back. Did anyone replace yet? Any kit recommendations. I like what I hear about the MagnaFlows sound. I’d like to see two tips out the back. Any help locating the kit is appreciated....r

I put a borla S type muffler on my van and 1968 cougar with no resonator after it. The 302 in the 68 cougar sounds similar to the 4.0 in the van and is very loud.

LOL, when I had my 68 Cougar big-block (my first brand new car), I cut the exhaust off at the mufflers and put on a set of Thrush mufflers. That thing as so load it was unreal, but to an 18 year old (me at the time) it was totally cool.

LOL, when I had my 68 Cougar big-block (my first brand new car), I cut the exhaust off at the mufflers and put on a set of Thrush mufflers. That thing as so load it was unreal, but to an 18 year old (me at the time) it was totally cool.
I know the feeling, in some ways I have not changed since I was 18.

Back