Low end power

Jornum1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Clifton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 4x4 SOHC
I am looking for some off the line low end power. My truck is fast after 3500 rpms or so, but before that its average. What mods will help off the line acceleration. I have my current mods below. I know headers will help, but I am waiting for hedman to release them for my engine. As far as I know, no one else makes them. I am talking Actual mods, not Nitrous. I know I should get some plug wires, I just keep putting it off. What else will help? Throttle body, Mas air, Ignition system. When someone does decide to make headers for the SOHC I will probably get new hi flo cats, and re route the exhaust. But I am just wondering what else I can do without going overboard, Nitrous, supercharger(I wish), heavy engine modifications. I have heard of some people saying they can get a chirp out of their auto trannys, I dont even come close. Can someone help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jornum, I don't know what you can do to increase low end power other than the chip. One question though, what axle ratio do you have? That will make a difference in your off-the-line acceleration.

my opinion

well jornum, the things you metioned like new throttle body and MAS will definetly help your throttle response. I would recommend saving up so you can get the throttle body, mas, and I would get some high-flow injectors at the same time. I recently read something that states with all these mods we do, especially the ones you have, that new high-flow injectors can really make a difference. I think it makes sense. We increase intake,exhaust add chips, all this messes with the air/fuel mixture, and adding performance injectors would top it off!

Jornum,

Look at my mods below. I've been running my truck pretty hard today, and got a lot of tire screeching :) We just got a lot of new blacktop in Austin, and it's a very good surface to play around on. I'll probably get some new plugs and wires within the next year, but I'm currently in the midst of getting JBA headers. JBA might have some already for the SOHC. I think their site is http://www.jbaracing.com.

BTW, I have a 3.27 rear end, and it's ok. I might get a 3.55 later on.

Oh, just looked at your sig, the next couple mods for you would be chip, throttle body, and headers. If you're planning on a Superchip, wait until after the other two so you can get it tuned. However, my Hypertech isn't specially programmed, but it still takes advantage of my other mods.

Also, it will be harder to make your wider tires chirp.

Hope all this helps!

Another thing, if you have 4WD auto, you won't get much more than a chirp before the 4WD kicks in. I have had only a couple of occasions where I've gotten 4WD wheelspin off the line. I can always get the inside rear to chirp on turns, but that's the limited slip hooking up.

One thing about the SOHC engine, its power curve is up a bit higher in the RPM band compared to the OHV engine. Look where the torque peaks occur. Headers might help across the band, but in general, anything that increases the engine's ability to breathe will tend to improve things at the high end, rather than the low end.

Myself, I'd go with headers, and gearing to get up into that power band a little earlier.

JMHO

Back