Low idle and stalling at stop lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low idle and stalling at stop lights

cbt11986

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ford Explorer 4.0 sohc
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this issue. I have a 99 explorer 4.o sohc that idles around 600 rpm sometimes lower and sometimes stalls out at stop lights drive throughs etc. Also the temp gauge never really gets above 1/4. Here is a list of what I have replaced...

New Air filter
Removed and cleaned throttle body, maf sensor, and upper and lower manifold
New manifold gaskets
New Iac
New ect sensor and sender
New Thermostat housing and thermostat
Inspected all vacuum hoses
New fuel filter
Ran seafoam through the fuel

I'm trying to not waste any more money on parts I don't need so if anyone has any ideas they will be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From your title I thought I had the fix for you. I had similar symptoms, I actually had to shift to neutral at stop lights and keep my foot on the throttle. Cleaning the IAC took care of my problem.

I see you've already replaced your IAC so that wouldn't be the problem.

Good luck - I know someone with much more knowledge than I have will pop up to give you the solution!

Temp sensor. there are usually two of them, 1 for the gauge, and 1 for the ECM. Check the output on the one for the ECM. they directly affect the fuel metering for your EX.

Replace the ignition coils. (coil pack is the same thing btw)

I'm having the exact same problem with my '95 XLT , otherwise its running great ! I checked all the things you have except I haven't changed the fuel filter or ran the seafoam through yet , those were next on my list . Have you been able to fix your problem yet ? I didn't change the fuel filter because it doesn't hesitate or run rough while I'm driving , only when stopped or stuck in traffic but it has always started right back up ! Hope you have better luck then I have in figuring this problem out

Back