Low vacuum, poor idle | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low vacuum, poor idle

i will truthfully say pulling the timing cover off while the motor is still in the truck really sucks, but it can be done. what kind of pan gasket do you have?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As I recall, I used one of the reusable metal and rubber gaskets.

Made a little progress today. Hopefully I'll find time tomorrow to unbolt the body mounts so I can slide the cam out.
1538255484-picsay.jpg

Yeah that's a pretty big cam, no wonder it wouldn't idle. It wants a high compression engine, hence the reason you have no vacuum on stock engine. Good to hear you figured it out!!!!

At this point I'm out many hours of repeated work and time spent trying to wrap my head around this, plus a few gasket sets, an extra set of pushrods, and all the coolant and oil that's been wasted. I'm also probably SOL on getting the cam exchanged without just buying a new one.

All that said, the weight off my shoulders of just knowing what's going on is massive.

That's a shame, selling something not matching the box etc.

I had a similar issue two years ago from Amazon, for wheel hubs on my 95 Crown Vic. I bought a pair of Raybestos hubs, good price and new etc. They wen on and worked fine, but one went out in about six weeks. I had a worse grinding than the old used parts, I changed those for maintenance and doing brakes.

I got a new replacement fast from Amazon, great, it worked and all seemed fine. Then the other side(new) went, and Amazon sent me a replacement for that one, ... problem was, it was the bad one I had just sent back in to them. They somehow took the reject hub and put it back into the new inventory. I new it was the first one by the condition of the hub and original packing material, I saw it well when I packed it up the first time. Amazon took that back too, but it was a hassle still to have to have those phone calls, and the waiting time.

I hope they make the cam right for you at least.

I hope. There's another possibility. I know TFS doesn't make their own grinds. If Comp does it for them, maybe they screwed this up before it ever got to Amazon. All the packaging looked brand new when it arrived. Cam looked new, all the papers and stickers, etc were totally clean.

Amazon is taking care of it. I'm glad - not sure I would have believed my own story from their side.

Back