Lowered Explorers – Long-term? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowered Explorers – Long-term?

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Has anyone examined the long-term effect of lowering the Explorer?

What happens to the rear leaf springs? The tortion bars? Ball joints?

Opinions, results, comments……

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what happens to a regular explorer... it falls apart

that said, i've had mine dropped for 28,000 miles. I had to replace the ball joints about 16,000 ago but the truck had 100k on it at the time. Other than that have had no damage or unusual wear.

No offense, but I hardly consider 28k miles "long term".

me neither really, but who do you think has gone a lot further than that lowered?

and even if someone has how can we decide if the problems were due to the lowering and not wear?

In order to draw conclusions we'd need a ton of data. Probably need 10 trucks that had been all lowered at the same mileage (new would be best) and 10 that hadn't been dropped. then you could actually draw conclusions. short of that its gonna be one persons opinion.

my opinion is that trucks fall apart no matter what you do, and lowering probably makes it fall apart a bit faster, but who knows

Ask yourself then Al.

The parts that are going to be worn first are balljoints and CV joints if applicable. The tie rods and steering components might wear just a tad faster. Other than that, everything should wear normally. The rear leafs shouldn't be affected, because you're really not altering the way they function when you add blocks.

Personnally, I am just hoping mine would fall apart at the same time my tranny falls apart. By that time, hopefully, I'm about done with my Explorer and time to move on to a 3rd generation.

Its a given that a lowered truck will have more suspension related things break faster compared to a stock one. How fast? That depends on the driver. Me, I baby my truck. Too much, in fact, I can't remember the last time I floored the pedal. :D

I am looking for someone who actually drives their lowered truck, someone who puts considerable miles on theirs. Someone who hauls a lot of weight, tows.

honestly, thats me. I beat on it like none other, and i tow all the time.

Originally posted by expo5.0
honestly, thats me. I beat on it like none other, and i tow all the time.

Have you compared the lowered measurements currently to when you first lowered? How about rear spring sag?

How is ride quality now compared to when you first lowered?

Personally, I don't think anyone should lower their truck if they carry heavy loads or tow, unless they have a load leveling system in the rear. It just doesn't make sense.

Al, I'm curious as to why these questions are popping up all of a sudden. Did you break something on your truck?

well, with respect to those questions i can't be of as much use as other people.

i initially lowered my truck 3" rear, and 2.5 up front. However, i have since added air lift springs to the rear and a 500 lb stereo which sort of offset each other, but make it hard to accurately compare.

I wouldn't expect it to have lowered itself any over time though. I'm pretty certain that i've stayed at the same height up front.

hartman- towing a 20' boat with a 2" rear drop actually worked great. However, if you go further than that i'd recommend going with the air lift set-up as i have. same goes for very heavy equipment in the back of the truck and or towing.

I often tow a Jeep on a tandom trailer. And quite often I transport 4 adults and about 500 pounds in the back.

Back