How long have you been lowered? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How long have you been lowered?

I was rusty wallace when I had my camaro. Whoohoo, wanna talk wear? tires and brake less then every 5k. LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I never drive wreckless. ;) I hit 148mph in my Trans Am friday night racing a little Z28.. never do that with the X though. it doesn't see over 80. :D

been lowered 1 whole day......repalced the ball joints before lowering cost 170 a side........and it is at least fore me a lot nicer ride it sort of floats.
Luego....KID

KIDSX: did ford replace the ball joints for you? If not, were ford ball joints used? Did you have all 4 ball joints replaced? Reason is because $340 for the job sounds like a damn good price to me. I got a quote for all 4 of mine using MOOG greaseable joints for just over $1,100. :eek:

i got a friend of a friend to do it for me.....actually my dads friend...any way i only needed one on the passenger side and it was a new ball joint....hope this helps.
Luego....KID

So how are everyone's ball joints?? Still holding up after 6 months?? Broken within 2 weeks???? Let's hear it...I'm interested and I'm sure others planning 3 to 5 inch drops are too (3 for me)....

i've been lowered a little over 2" for a few months now.

before i dropped it, i did occasionally hear a noise that i suspected was a bad ball joint. my lazy azz hasn't checked it out yet, so i'm not sure that's what's going on.

but, after driving over 3k miles on ishtty roads, the noise isn't anymore frequent, not any louder, and doesn't sound any different.

my stock shocks are a different story. recently, the ride has taken a slight turn for the worse and i can hear a funky noise coming from the rear shocks when they compress. i still don't think it rides that bad.....UPDATE .. my shocks are fine. the squeek noise is probably just the frame or interior panels. I removed the panel in the hatch that holds the lug wrench and wedged it behind the rear seats. that cut my rattling noise when going over bumps in half. now I just hear the hatch rattle a bit (prob the locking/latching mechanism, mainly)and an occasional "frame squeek". I'm going to apply dynamat in the rear hatch and see how much that helps.

i plan on replacing the shocks after i drop it some more. i'm not sure if i want to just throw some sensatracs on there and hope they hold up, or spend more money on some custom length drop shocks.

ben is your x 4 wheel drive?
Luego....KID

Look at his signature....

my bad.......:confused:

Answering the question:

'bout a year now.
Disadvantages: Thanks to the not-evident Ford Q=J1 factor, many, many, many interior tirm pieces squeak and ratlle now. Also, I can't drive with the sunroof open on moderate roads, because it ratttles too.

How did lowering cause those problems?

Originally posted by FrankRizzo
Answering the question:

'bout a year now.
Disadvantages: Thanks to the not-evident Ford Q=J1 factor, many, many, many interior tirm pieces squeak and ratlle now. Also, I can't drive with the sunroof open on moderate roads, because it ratttles too.

How low are you to have such difficulties?

Answering the question:

'bout a year now.
Disadvantages: Thanks to the not-evident Ford Q=J1 factor, many, many, many interior tirm pieces squeak and ratlle now.

Same here. I think it has to do with less suspension travel/stiffer suspension causing the frame to twist a little.

Answering the question:

'bout a year now.

a lower profile tire then stock will do that as well...

so that and a combo of the tighter suspension prob did that to you.

make engine sound louder then you wont hear the squeaks :D

my jack vibrates loose and rattles loudly. i have to tighten it about once a week.

i haven't noticed any interior trim pieces squeeking yet, though. how long before that happened to you guys?

wouldn't applying dynamat (or a cheaper, similar material) help?

Mine has been lowered for 18k miles now and I have noticed NO adverse effects' only great handeling and a little sharsher ride.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My interior panels squeak when I am turning into a driveway or something that has a much different grade than the road. Anything that causes the suspension to flex a lot does it. I dont notice anything else besides that other than what aldive just said.

Aldive... how many miles do you put on per year. If I remember correctly, you only lowered your ride about 6 months ago.

Back