How long have you been lowered? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How long have you been lowered?

Originally posted by 98FordX24
I gave them the EE specs and they said it came out perfect. [/QUOTE

My alignment shop gave me a computer print out from the alignment machine. I did mine to EE specs also.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had it aligned with my stock wheels and tires on. Would that make a difference? Those were 235/75/15's and these are 255/60/17's. I wouldnt think it would considering that if they made the stock tires sit straight so would these. If they were a little off, these would be worse because the tire is wider. Is that right?

it is actually a little better to have alignment done with the R's and not the stockers. the cobra's are so much wider, and have so much more backspacing, that a slightly off alignment will be exaggerated when you switch to the wider wheel/tire.

I did not get a print out, but I did get a receipt... that I still have. It says... Computerized front end alignment - $49.95. Xtra charge - set camber (4x4) - $65.00.

Another thing is that my ball joints are going. Couldnt that make the alignment bad?

Originally posted by 98FordX24
IAnother thing is that my ball joints are going. Couldnt that make the alignment bad?

How many miles on the ball joints?

I replaced mine at about 63k.

yea, ball joints could be it... replaced mine when it was aligned. most shops (other than the back-woods type) will not do alignment with bad ball joints.

56K. I remember you saying that you got yours replaced under your extended warranty. I have an extended warranty also. Who did the work for you? The shop that I'm going to on monday for the alignment would be where I would like to get the work done but he only installs MOOG joints. I guess I'll have to go to the Honda dealer I bought it from and they will probably send it to Ford. The only thing is, I'm worried that Ford will not let it go under warranty because I'm lowered. They are the ones that told me they were going and they said it was because I was lowered (obviously).

Originally posted by james t
yea, ball joints could be it... replaced mine when it was aligned. most shops (other than the back-woods type) will not do alignment with bad ball joints.
Well if they pull that crap with me when I go back to complain I'll just have to ask them why they did the alignment with bad joints and not even tell me I had bad joints. Hmmm... I think I got screwed on this alignment.

98fordX24- you had an earlier post that a ball-joint replacement would be around a grand. Jeeze! i had now idea it would be that much- is that a ford estimate?

no... i was quoted $1,100 for 4 MOOG joints. That the only kind he installs on Fords because he knows the stock ones are crap. I know thats a lot of money but I also know that this is the only place around that will do it right. My friend took his caprice in for a regular alignment and the guy spent 4 hours on it because he had trouble getting it JUST right. Only charged him $60 for a regular alignment too. If its not perfect he wont let it out of the shop. Hes been doing it for 40 years and everyone that wants the job done right goes to this guy. His shop is spotless. You could eat off the floor.

I went to the good shop today and he said that I need a left upper ball joint and that it should have never been aligned without replacing that to begin with. I called my extended warranty company and they said that I have to take it back to the selling dealer (Honda) and they have to look at it and authorize the repair. I'm sure they will end up doing it because it's not anything major. The place I took it to this morning was not going to tell them it was lowered but I think Honda will. This pretty much sucks really bad. Maybe I'll get lucky and I can convince them to contract it out to this alignment shop. God knows I dont want Ford to do it. The thing I'm worried about is, when they try to align it, its not going to work and they will get all pissed off because its lowered. I dont know whats going to happen. :confused:

I went to 4 allignment shops... every single guy SERIOUSLY lectured me on how torsion bars are not ment to lower, and camber shouldn't be adjusted for this and how they wouldn't touch it. Finally ford dealership did it and didn't care one bit, just installed the camber adjustors, alligned it, and thats that...

I just picked mine up from the alignment shop. I have an appointment in 2 weeks at Honda to have them look at it even tho I already know whats wrong. The guy at the alignment shop said that lowering with the torsion bars will not affect a ball joint and that if they try to pull that crap with me about the warranty bit they are full of crap. I know lowering will have an affect on the ball joint but I think what he means is, lowering will not cause the problem I have and this ball joint was bad even before I lowered it. I'm going to pay him to do the alignment even after Honda does it because I know they wont do it right. I completly trust this alignment shop (independently owned) because this is all they do and EVERYBODY that goes to him is satisfied. He has not fed me one line of BS.

Originally posted by psychotic
I went to 4 allignment shops... every single guy SERIOUSLY lectured me on how torsion bars are not ment to lower, and camber shouldn't be adjusted for this and how they wouldn't touch it.

Finally ford dealership did it and didn't care one bit, just installed the camber adjustors, alligned it, and thats that...

Thays amazing? 4 said that?

Good luck with anything Ford did.

Originally posted by aldive
I am confused' whats the deal with Honda?
I bought my explorer used at a Honda dealer and got my extended warranty through them. Therefore, I have to go back to that dealer for them to confirm that a repair needs to be done before it can be done and it is that dealers decision whether they do the work or contract it out to someone else. If they want someone else to do it, I'm sure it will end up going to Ford. :mad:

What kind of warranty makes you go to the seller for service or approval? Mine doesn't.

apparently mine does. :mad: Last time I just went to ford when my thermostat was bad and they replaced that under warranty. they just called the warranty place and it was covered. I dont know if they actually know what dealer you bought it from. I think they just care that its a dealer on the phone. But I'm not sure so instead of paying ford to look at it and find out that it still has to go to Honda, I'll just take it there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First Extended Service Co. Cost me $1,000 for 4 years/48,000 miles. I knew I would have over $250/yr in repairs so thats why I got it.

Back