How long have you been lowered? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How long have you been lowered?

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I am curious about the long term effects of lowering.

How long have you been lowered? How many miles?

Comments, please.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

other than wearing parts out prematurely and being stiffer/more responsive, nothing should really be more different than a stock truck....

Originally posted by jimabena74
other than wearing parts out prematurely and being stiffer/more responsive, nothing should really be more different than a stock truck....

What have YOU worn out prematurely on your lowered Explorer?

Originally posted by aldive

What have YOU worn out prematurely on your lowered Explorer?

LOL! :confused:

Been lowered for about 4,000 miles now. I was gonna get my ball joints checked last friday but I didnt have the time. I'm sure you heard the stories about them. The front is lowered 2". I cut my bumpstops in half but when I hit them it hits the metal thats in them. Time to think about getting some new, smaller ones.

got about 8k miles on mine. lowered 2". had to replace the lower ball joints when i lowered it, they were already worn out. nothing to report so far...

Hmmm....yea, I'm interested too...especially those of you who have your truck lowered 3" or so.....How's it goin?? What have you replaced etc??

My ball joints were replaced about 8-12 months ago (first time I think), so I hope they'll be ok when I lower the truck 3".....Though with 134k miles on the clock, who knows(she still runs like a champ though; absolutely perfect mechanical condition)....

I have almost 10k miles on my lowered truck and have experenced absolutly NO problems what so ever.

Typically, now much is it to get the ball joints replaced?

aldive, how low are you atm?? I'm thinkin 3" and I'm wondering how many problems, if any, people have had.....

Originally posted by ChuckyD
Do you baby your X aldive???

Ok now that is a dumb question. :rolleyes:

I've been lowered 4 inches for about 2 to 2 1/2 months. nothing at all has happened. nothing replaced. the only thing is EVERY bump in the road, i hit the bump stops and hurts... hehe

Originally posted by SeanM
aldive, how low are you atm?? I'm thinkin 3" and I'm wondering how many problems, if any, people have had.....

A tad less than 2".

Originally posted by Hartman

Ok now that is a dumb question. :rolleyes:

How Is That A Dumb Question Hartman???

Let ME Hear Your Thoughts On This One?

I want to hear what the hampsters in your head come up with?

Aldive, do you not let the RPM's go above a certain point, do you not take turns too hard, do you generally go slow around corners... and so on..
Reason behind me asking is some people who lower generally feel that lowering is the ticket to becoming Mario Andretti, so accelerated wear on their X would be more common.

Just a guess though

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by ChuckyD
Aldive, do you not let the RPM's go above a certain point, do you not take turns too hard, do you generally go slow around corners... and so on..
Reason behind me asking is some people who lower generally feel that lowering is the ticket to becoming Mario Andretti, so accelerated wear on their X would be more common.

Just a guess though

Chucky, I drive fst on curvy roads, I built my truck to be able to do that. I do not drive recklessly and have seen no wear at all ( above normal ).

Back