• Register Today It's free!

lowered, now bottoming out !!

snipe2

Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Limited AWD
I installed the lowering kit. Looks great handles great. My problem is, whenever I have 2 people in the back seat, or stow stuff in the back, it wants to bottom out. It really comes down hard on the blocks. Any ideas on how I can stop this from happening?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you get the EE bumpstops?

Yes, they came with the kit. That's what i"m bottoming on.

Take a look at the distance between the bum stops and where they hit with the truck level.

I have found the front stop in the EE kit to be no different than the stock ones,

Post the measurement here please.

By the way, mine(with EE kit ) bottoms out all the time now and its driving me nits' I hate it.

Yep, the fronts looked the same size to me too. It's the back that keeps bottoming.

Short of cutting them bumpstops in half, maybe stiffer shocks might solve your problem.

Rancho 9000x on position 9 are as stiff as it gets and mine still bottoms out; front and rear.

get a air lift kit - there is someone selling one on here pretty cheap - something like $175 I think...That'd be the way to go...

Bottoming out with the EE kit? That's odd. I would definately get an air lift kit.

BTW, you don't know bottoming out until you have on 3" blocks like me and that's with nobaody in the back. :rolleyes:

the cheat, where can i get this air kit at? is it like air ride or what

I wonder what kind of shocks you are running? You guys may notice that some of these Explorer sit lower at the rear than others (2-door & 4-door). The ones that sit lower tend to bottom out sooner with passengers or a load. Vehicles with soft shocks will also bottom out sooner. The Air Lift is a good idea, but I have another suggestion. We have installed the Monroe Load Leveling shocks $119.95 at the rear of lowered Explorers that tend to bottom out with passengers.They have built in coil springs that will take care of the bottoming out problem while still offering a decnt ride quality.They will raise the rear ride height by aprox .5"-.75". This has been a great solution for lowered Explorers.

The EE rear bumpers are the same size as the sock, but they are hollow in the center. They are much more forgiving over bumps than the stock bumpers.

We do have the Air Lift kit in stock as well. We have also installed this kit on lowered Explorers with good results.

Hey Al, you need new shocks. I will be glad to warranty those Edelbrock Shocks. Give me a call and I will send them out no charge!

Attachments

• monroe load leveling shocks.jpg
    monroe load leveling shocks.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,103

This what the Air Lift kit looks like installed on a lowered Explorer. The nice thing is that you can raise the rear and the ride quality is the same.

The basicAir Lift kit is $194.95

The optional controller kit $121.95 allows you to adjust the rear ride height from the drivers seat.

Attachments

• air lift lowered web.jpg
    air lift lowered web.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,347

wow, is this common? I've been wanting to lower but not if its gonna bottom out. Can this be fixed by merely shaving the bumps?

That's a great picture of the Monroe load levelers from John V. I put them in the rear of my stock height X just to correct the rear end sag that was annoying me. It definately raised it up like I hoped. My $.02, but I think they would help with a lowered X that is bottoming out.

Lee

Originally posted by aldive
Bottoming out is unfortunately common when lowered.

I would assume some, but only under rough road conditions. Kinda sounds here that it was under normal driving.

Mine bottomned out ofter and always when more than a driver was inthe truck.

Back